Denmark v. USA

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Nov 16, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

First the sucky news. The screening rights have been sold to "the ESPN networks." What this is going to mean, is that the match will begin on ESPN classic and, as some unspecified time, will tranfer to ESPN2. Best of British luck to anyone who was going to DVR this Wednesday afternoon match and watch it when they got home from work.

Better news: Clint has been sent home, along with 'dolo and others. I think you may see Ricardo Clark playing the match of his life. This is a great venue for him to audition for Europe. Certainly the clock is ticking on his usefulness, and he won't want to get too old waiting like Dero did.

I'm hoping to see Conrad get a shot. Perhaps they'll move Spector to RB and start Conrad and Goodsen in the middle.

Here's also hoping that Bob starts Jozy and EJ up top.

Thanks to the "robust economy," I'll have plenty of time to watch the match, and will post my ramblings here afterwards.

The score ain't important. Bob's looking for 19-23 now.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Why was Marshall sent home? Do you suppose Bradley has made his mind up about him?

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

EJ has one last shot to prove he's worth a shit. I really don't think he's good enough so there's no need to expect anything great.

Jeff needs a decent shot at about the 65th minute. Letting him get onto the pitch for a few minutes isn't doing anybody any favors. He needs a good 20 minutes a game to prove his worth. He's good enough to be a super sub.

Castillo deserves a shot as well. Nobody but Bradley thinks Bornstein is good enough. Time for another player to get a chance.

4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

There is one plus about the espn thing. That is you can watch it on ESPN 360.

5. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Kenny Cooper is undergoing an MRI and could have an injury there. Bad for Cooper, but it means EJ's chance just got better. If he goes out there and runs his socks off and makes some plays, then I think he will seriously be considered for SA 2010.

Of course, as Don rightly said, this game and probably the next few friendlies are for deciding reserves. I just want to see a good performance from the USMNT.

I'm not sure what to expect from Castillo. I fear the moment he has a bad game, the US fans will turn on him like, well, Bornstein.

6. Clevelandmo

Marshall has something up with his knee and Torres was excused for personal reasons

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

EJ didn't look *bad* on Saturday, so I'm cautiously optimistic of him and Jozy forming a halfway decent partnership.

Cunningham looked like a deer in the headlights. He had the one header, but is obviously not used to European defending as he was pushed off the ball in a very Adu-esque manner.

8. Jensers

Jensers New Member

This is going to be an interesting squad... You have Jozy, Bradley, Spector, and Boca who are probably a lock for the first team.

So you have 7 guys with something to prove... I hope they play like it - otherwise we are in for another snooze-fest with guys trying to play safe.

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

For all those DVR'ers out there, keep it on ESPN Classic and you should be good to go:

"# At 2:25 p.m. ET, ESPN Classic will begin coverage of USA-Denmark live. Kickoff is scheduled for around 2:30 p.m. ET, and coverage on ESPN Classic will continue throughout the game.

# Following the conclusion of Ukraine-Greece on ESPN2, ESPN2 will join the USA game in progress. ESPN plans to inform viewers on ESPN Classic when the ESPN2 coverage will begin. "

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Jeffro!!!!!

11. pettyfog

where were the 6 logged in? Not in Caht

what a freakin waste.

Last we see Frankie in the kit, I'm thinking.

Please send EJ home!!!!

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I logged in and then left for a meeting, sorry, 'fog.

Was the US performance as abysmal as my readings have indicated?

13. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

RE: US - friendly

I left work and went straight to a bar to catch the second half. There is really no need to dissect it. We looked awful in the second half top to bottom. Although to Guzan’s credit he didn’t have a good opportunity to stop those goals.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: US - friendly

Watched the match on DVR.

Lowlights:

1. Harkes saying that someone born in the United States "just got naturalized." Of course, I've met a dozen easterners over the years that were surprised to hear that New Mexico is in the United States.

2. I bet everyone on the USMNT will be calling Clint and begging him never to miss another international that Harkes is calling.

3. I'm with 'fog. Thank you very much Frankie, but PLEASE don't take him to SA. In the first 20 minutes he had three tackles, each of which would have yielded a straight red in a World Cup Finals.

4. Jozy was ABYSMAL

5. Does everyone NOW realize how much we need Cherundolo?

6. Our midfield withoug Donovan is poor. Our midfield without Donovan and Dempsey is woeful.

7. Benny faded after 15 minutes.

8. Dax had a nice run-out again.

9. I thought Eddie and Cunningham could have done better had Altidore arrived for the match, and if we had any midfielder capable of passing to them.

10. Milk carton alert: Stuart Holden.

11. Guzan in a green shirt. With that beard, he should be the team mascot for Notre Dame.

12. Will somebody PLEASE tell ESPN to
    (a) give the substitutes when they give the lineup
    (b) bother to list the opponent's lineup
    (c) if they're too cheap to send a crew over, then at least use the "world feed's" graphics so we know who was substituted for whom. I still am not sure which 11 finished the match.

Without Gooch and without Davies, I think we're three and out in South Africa. It's a shame.

15. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

That line cracked me up. Sorry, continue on.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Don. They mentioned during the feed that they were having trouble bringing up the Denmark roster graphic. I at least give them credit for effort.

Hejduk is finished.

I thought Benny and Holden had good games, but overall, we didn't deal with their formation well at all. the 4-3-3 collapsed dynamically to a 4-5-1 (dynamic as in it wasn't always the same -1 up top) and overran us.

I actually thought EJ did well. He didn't have much chance to even touch the ball, but he pressured much better than Cunningham did.

That's the USA right now - our first 11 *can* beat anyone. Our next 11 couldn't beat Wales.

17. Clevelandmo

I thought Conrad did well in his short time. Every touch I noticed was effective. I really want to see EJ get a chance with an effective midfield to support him. He has got to be better than he was preFulham/Cardiff and I want to see if that's a little or a lot.

Holden was noticeably absent, Rogers looked better than him.

Good job to Cunningham for an excellent strike. His call ups should continue.

So much for the Castillo hype. I dont mind seeing more of him, but from what I saw yesterday I doubt the diminutive changecoat is going to make an impact.

I'm still expecting Beasley to be back.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Does the US play a couple of games in January? If so, EJ should really ask if he can get released to the team because I can't see him playing the friendly's later on because that's for the players that are actually going. Fulham doesn't need him unless there's an injury crisis never before seen in the world.

I didn't watch the game, but was half asleep when I heard that Jeff scored. I was proud of myself because I said that he should get a chance a couple of months ago and them I looked at the time left in the game and saw it was in the first half. I was surprised he actually got the start. He's not a starter Bob!

its obvious that Donovan is going to need to play the best tournament in his life if the US is going anywhere. Jones is also going to need to play his best. This team needs its players to step up and from what it sounds like, they're doing a piss poor job and are trying to give away their roster spot. They must do better if they are to succeed next year.

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

EJ was totally set up to fail. Same with Castillo, McCarty, et al.

Bradley, per usual, waited too long to make changes. Denmark made three at half, and scored three times within 10 minutes. Bradley didn't sub until the 70th and that point no one for the US or Denmark gave a s-h-i-t -- especially the midfield, which is crucial for any offense to form.

And my god what is wrong with Jozy? He looked absolutely terrible. He needs to flee Hull ASAP.

And anyone else hear Harkes slate EJ? What a cock. First Demps, now him...we need to investigate this anti-Fulham bias.

20. pettyfog

Yeah.. it's beginning to really piss me off that everywhere he plays they all set him up to fail!

EJ's problem is exactly the same as it was in MLS and as he acknowledged, himself. It's almost all in his head.
    Depressives KNOW they are depressed. sometimes awareness doesnt solve the issue.

Jeffro is/was a different sort of headcase. I suspect he has it sussed, as well. That said, he ISNT a starter on US and would be Epically dangerous coming in at 70.. same as he has been his entire career.