Dembele to Spurs (confirmed)

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Re: The Dempsey and Dembele watch thread

May have legs since he wasn't named for today's match, unless he's picked up a knock that hasn't been reported. More likely the former.
    (sigh), Here we go.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Seems to be true. Dembele to spurs for 15m. Sigh. We will really need to find a replacement fast.

He was one of the best players I have seen play for Fulham. Too bad we couldn't hang on to him longer. Hope the 15m gets us something good fast.

Skysorts has confirmed my nightmare:

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/clockwatch

Fulham have confirmed that they have accepted an offer from Tottenham for midfielder Moussa Dembele, who was left out of tonight's Capital One Cup defeat to Sheffield Wednesday. We will bring you more on this story shortly.

4. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

The season started off so damn promising and now we're going to lose our two best players. Always happens with us. In a few years, Kaca and Frei will leave and after that, Woodrow and Hyndman will leave. Fucking sucks.

There should be absolutely no reason why we couldn't blow £25m on players now. £15m for Dembele and around £10m for Dempsey plus all of the wages off the books should free up that kind of money. I will be even more pissed off if we try to replace them with cheap players who are nowhere near their quality.

5. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

Sometimes I hate when my cynicism proves warranted.

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Not a good day today, is it? He's apparantly undergoing the medical now and then it's down to him agreeing terms with Spurs.

Ironically, I think Dembele is more replacable than Dempsey (who is still here at the moment). We won't be able to replace his runs, that would be ridiculous, but you can achieve the same results with good passing. We've played w/o Dembele before and our offense didn't really slow that much. Granted, he's a better player now, but his offensive work still often goes w/o an end product. I think we'll miss him more defensively, to be honest. However, the drop off there shouldn't be game changing. I think he'll continue to improve and go on to be a world class player, but we were never going to reap those rewards anyway. This isn't to say I'm not disappointed by losing him, just that I don't think it's as catastrophic as what I'm reading on the net. Not even close.

Of course all of that is going to depend on who we're able to get to replace him and that's the part that worries me more than anything. I don't think Kieran Richardson is that player or close.

7. tim

tim Active Member

Seems to be our MO. Develop players and sell them. Pick up underappreciated players, turn them into stars, and sell them. Great business strategy. As for winning football matches and keeping fans happy? Not so much. I'm not going to sound the alarm until the window closes (hoping we can put that £15m to good use), but my finger's on the button.

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

After a long day at the office this was the last thing we needed. Yes we made money, but what will it mean for the midfield?

9. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

This is the make or break period for Fulham. If we go onto sign guys like Gomis and Adam, then we can continue our push towards the top 7 as those players are quality and Kaca and Frei will be better than they were last year. In fact, Kaca has already proven that.

If we sign players like Richardson and Rhodes then I believe we're going right back to where we were before Roy, to the Coleman era and not the dreadful Sanchez run. There are teams below us spending crazy amounts of money and quality players. Now isn't the time to take steps back. What's the point of having a 30,000 seat stadium if you can't fill it?

10. RIcottager

RIcottager New Member

Not even sure where to start with this one. It certainly proves that we should put ZERO stock in the overactive rumor mill after reading calm, collected quotes from Jol and Dembele.
    Dempsey we saw coming, Dembele I really thought would last the year and cost much, much more in the window next year. The money is there and a quality replacement must come in. That is not Kieran Richardson, imo. Just doesn't seem like this group is setting their sights high enough in terms of the big-name splash they SHOULD be targeting. Grooming Kaca and Frei is fine but I would think their value drops when playing for a bottom of the table club...which is what we could realistically be with no Moose or Clint. 2cents.

11. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

We would have lost Dembele for free if he stayed the season. But it seemed fulham and dembele were fine with that arrangement in the summer. Fulham made a nice sum off of dembele and dembele gave us some great play. Not a complete win-win as I think he's going to be even better this year than last, especially if he stayed. I hope he doesn't drop form at Tottenham, Jol seemed to get the best out of him last year and I'm not sure AVB. I wish him well and hope for the best for Fulham with this new money.

13. MisterF

MisterF New Member

WTF! Been a busy day so just stumbled on this. Really sad to see him go and was really thinking we could hold onto him longer. At least we got some good money for him though. Hope we can get someone good to replace him soon.

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I will let the not so smilies speak for me :auto-ambulance: :angry-cussingblack: :character-jaws: :character-willie: :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-seeingstars: :confusion-shrug: :crying-blue: :crying-yellow: :handgestures-thumbdown: :sad-suicidepills: :sad-suicidepills: :sad-suicidepills: :sad-fever: :sad-darkcloud: :sad-darkcloud: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :sad-pacing: :scared-eek: :sci-fi-beamup: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

15. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Goodbye and good luck Dembele. Who's next to step up? That is the only way I can look at it because I have been convinced since Saturday's performance that he was more likely not to be in a Fulham shirt for West Ham than playing in Fulham's central midfield. I was holding my breath hoping I was wrong but it is time to exhale.

I guess it would be wishful thinking for us to get Huddlestone on loan with an option to buy as part of this deal is his loan deal with Stoke did fall through.

16. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    The worst part about this is the virtual certainty of losing both Dembele and Dempsey. I was hoping we could keep one of them... the funny thing is I think Dembele has a better chance of playing in the CL next season than Dempsey would at Liverpool. Before the whole debacle of the last couple weeks, I would've preferred Dembele leaving, but after it became apparent that Dempsey had reached the point of no return with the club- I was hoping he could've stayed. I wish him all the best at Spurs and hope we could do something productive with that money...

~ Steve

17. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Does it suck? Yes.

Am I surprised? No.

We are never going to be a Top 4-6 type team and we were never going to keep a player like Dembele. We got a pretty good return on him, especially considering we bought him for around five million pounds.

But such is life at Fulham. Dembele isn't the first nor is he the last promising player that Fulham signs, builds up then has to sell to a bigger club with more resources.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

News seems to be that several teams including Man City and ManU(?) are trying to put in a bid too. Let's hope Fulham get a huge transfer fee.

http://www.soccersweep.com/last-minute- ... er-united/?

*seems like SkySports may have just made a mistake saying he was having a medical at Man City. Has there been confirmation he's agreed to personal terms with Spurs? I would assume that to be the case if he was having a medical with them, no?

19. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

For years I have been told to be realistic. I'm starting to take a more realistic approach and how can you guys think that this is fun? I hate the fact that we're a club that sells its best players. This isn't fun, it's depressing. Knowing that you'll never amount to much more than 7th in the table sucks.

20. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

From the last article Heather posted

This is the sort of stuff you hear and read about Moussa all the time. And I agree with it all. However, Moussa is now in the middle of his career and just short of his prime yet stat-wize in terms of goals and assists he has never produced. Even in Holland, a place where unrefined American footballers like Bradley and Altidore can put up impressive tallies, he did not put up spectacular numbers. It really does defy what you see on the field. I will be curious to see if this ever changes. Is he just a super talent that will never reach down and get the cutting edge to have an impact on the scoreboard. Will he always just be content with the accolades over his supreme talent? However, with the way he bossed the field v. ManUre, I dont think he ever needs to produce assists and goals, but if he gets big bucks from a top four team will their fans and management agree.