Dead Trees Falling

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Bradical, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Bradical

Bradical Member

Sad Day in Denver

It's old news that newspapers are dying, but the reality of losing them is still shocking. The 150 year-old Rocky Mountian News printed its last edition today. Sure, Denver had two major papers long after most major cities were reduced to one, and the Rocky and The Denver Post had a weird sharing program going on the last several years that signaled the beginning of the end, but the magnitude of losing something historical is hard to fathom.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... l-edition/

Two other major papers are next: the San Francisco Chronicle and the Seattle Post Intelligencer. RIP Rocky.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

When I lived in Ft Collins it was the better of the two papers. Too bad

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

day by day i'm loving my career prospectus...

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wanna explain that?

Surely you're not a journo student. You could have asked me straight out for career advice, or Don.

I am gratified that this is no longer laid at the feet of USA Today. When that paper came out, the old-timers screamed saying it would kill locals.
    Also that it shorthanded the news, never going in depth. A lie.

I grew up in a media-rich house and I saw Cox Newspapers shortcut articles {leaving out the 'why'/background} long before they ever got to competing against national editions.

Here's my view on it though... the very year journo students shifted from the motivation of 'finding and telling the truth', to 'wanting to make a difference in the world'.. that's when journalism began to die.

It's no oddity that the most listened to opinions have divorced themselves from 'Journalism'. If you're biased, admit it. dont pretend to not take a side.

And it isnt 'Broadcast Network News' that's at fault, either. Their ratings are in the dumper.
    That's why it's imperative that the Guvmint keep hands off internet content.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

This is due to the internet and newspapers slow response to people getting their news via the internet. The labor costs for printing newspapers is a huge expense too. Hey, it's sad but this is how it has to be.

6. pettyfog

All of the above, Spencer.
    As soon as I learned "Dick and Jane" reading primer, Spencer, I went home to read the newspapers.
    At one time in my far-from-well-to-do parents' house, we got both morning and evening papers, Time and Newsweak {sic} plus Reader's Digest.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, Mo, newspapers always depended upon local advertising. At one time, all they had to compete with was billboards or fliers. Television advertising took out a huge chunk that began the disappearance of multiple newspaper towns. With targeted direct mail advertising, broadcast stuff like newspapers becomes even less effective. Everything that has happened to improve the rapidity of communications has put another nail in the newspaper's coffin. If it weren't for coupons, comics and sports, we'd probably have as many daily newspapers as England does

As advertising revenue dwindled, so did substance and quality. It used to be that "the papers of record" -- Washington Post, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, LA Times -- reported every word of a State of the Union or an inaugural address. Now, if you want to read these things in their completeness, you need to go on-line. Increasingly, real news got glossed over, and once the papers realized that television [and later the Internet] was always going to get the story in a more timely manner, they began to rely more on gossip and garbage.

My own newspaper reading peaked during the OJ Simpson trial, when I stopped watching all TV news and sports. I pretty much stopped reading the paper from cover to cover when I noticed stories ending with transition paragraphs. When faced with space limitations, editors didn't edit; they just lopped off the story mid-way. Who cares if they left their readers hanging

We still get the newspaper, primarily because there's a great local columnist we like and a brilliant editorial cartoonist, but I no longer scan box scores in the paper, preferring to do that via the Internet.

Basically, newspapers are an 18th century phenomenon that reached their peak readership in the 19th century, and have been losing readership and influence for more than 100 years now. If coupons dry up, we'll have no locl papers at all. Just like we don't have a thriving buggy-whip business any more

And it has NOTHING to do with what people learn in journalism school, 'fog. Higher education can't be blamed for everything -- well it can, but not with any degree of accuracy.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Wow, Don, thats exactly what I'm been telling lots of people but no one seems to understand it.

Journalism, and the free press, is just an epoch in the history of humanity, idiosyncratic to post-enlightenment Western civilization.

But, theoretic mumbo jumbo aside, there are no many causes for the decline of papers, and news gathering, and news. Internet, tv, celebrity culture, economics, spokespersons, advertising, non-media owners -- they're all attributable.

For me, the newspaper industry is like the music industry: completely missed the digital boat and trying desperately to build its own vessel to catch up, but failing miserably.

And no, fog, I'm not a "journo student" but an actual journalist...

One that cannot wait to speak at an elementary's school career day next month and say "Hey kids! This is a newspaper. This won't be around when you're my age!"

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Small town local newscasts will be next. In my hometown, they shut it down and are piping in local news from Tyler (89 mi away). The station is still there, but they just couldn't pull the ad revenue to run local nightly news profitably anymore.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, be fair. After the 26th episode of cow tipping in any given month, it all kind of gets routine. :wink:

11. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Yep, only spots they could sell with ease were the 10 pm Friday night newscast in the Fall....no lie.

Mansour El-Kikhia, I'm sure. :lol:

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, Cary Clack [or Gary Clark] but I'm not surprised at your jab.

13. pettyfog

Don, I hate to prick your bubble ... I have nothing against journalism per se, or the academic study of it. I question the MOTIVATION of many who follow that road.
    eh.. but you really already knew that, dintcha!
    Well, Don... I dont know why it took so long for that paradigm to get to S-A, it happened decades earlier in Dayton, OH. Home of the Cox News empire. (you know it best by the Atlanta Urinal-Constipation)
    Those LOST paragraphs were the ones that filled you in on possible background .. or the 'WHY'.

Ever notice that many of the standard paper sites most linked on the net seem to expire quickest? That's a conundrum. Example: SJ Mercury News.. whens the last time you saw them linked?
    Lately it was RM news... now they gone. Next, the P-I?
    From Seattle, home of the P-I: It's the End of the News Hole as We Know It

Ethics? Critical Thought? Sorry... look at the NYTimes.

14. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Good thread and some very thoughtful points made. If you can't adapt or deliver what people want, you die. The industry has itself to blame. Not much to add that already hasn't been said. Myself, I think journalism is an important job and a worthy field of study as well as occupation. Keep it up Timmy!

15. pettyfog

Well, they've failed miserably, haven't they? In an article on the cancellation of the newspapers editors' convention

Comes THIS comment: {scroll down to 'reality check', link doesnt cue the comment}
    Yep... you might say that it's the editors at fault.. or, as in the case of the NYT, the publisher. But it's hard to believe that the WSJ has those hurdles.

Even the Murdoch organs seem to be afraid to tackle the truth. Because of people like Matthews and Olberman?

Nope! I have met the enemy and he is me.. I know the truth.. it was right there in front of us and even I am too tired of complaining, that's why I havent been.

16. pettyfog

Note: I renamed 'Sad Day in Denver' so as to keep this thread current and invite more discussion on the issue.

With the recent demise of Rocky Mountain News and the shift to web only of Seattle P-I, the results of media shift is hugely apparent. Those are only the first of many and some papers are shifting to 'not every day' subscriber routes.

Everyone blames it on the Net and Cable news...and that certainly is the prime factor, but I've yet to see anyone put another factor into play:

'Arts and Events' weekly freebies.

You see 'em everywhere, even in the little burg where I live. Certainly in Columbus where there are two of them competing with the Dispatch, which is laying off 45 in the news room.

What about you guys.. see the same thing?

On a side note; there was a time a few years ago when the San Jose Mercury News was one of the most linked press sites on the net. At this point in time very rare to see a link to them. Any idea why?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The San Antonio Express-News which was first merged between a Scripps-Howard and one of Murdoch's first papers in the states, and then bought out by Hearst -- who owned the competing daily [they swore there'd be no loss of quality or discourse for SA], is "contracting." The quality of the paper skyrocketed when they cannibalized the staff of the San Antonio Light [Hearst also swore that this wouldn't happen.], but lots of people are like me [on-line readers for free], and they're losing money.

The biggest loss in staff for me will be cartoonist John Branch. He's the only local editorial cartoonist we have, so soon we'll be treated only to what's considered important in LA and NYC. Since we already have that in the network morning "news" programs, local and state coverage takes another hit.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The editorial cartoon from yesterday's SAEN was signed off on by a guy who writes for the Albuquerque paper, fwiw.

While I sympathise with them, I'm glad to see the individual writer obits come to an end. Seemed every local piece started with one the past two weeks.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

short answer: no.

a yes pfog, i do see those. in fact i love them.

they're called alt-weeklys in most spheres. and although they'll probably survive the longest, even they're not doing so hot.