Danny Szetela????

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ChicagoTom, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Juxxy, Petty, how has Danny Szetela played this season? Is he making any kind of progress or is he the same player he was when the Crew picked him up last season?

This kid was supposed to be one for the future, but I have not heard much about him. I am guessing that is not a good thing. Any insight from the Crew fans on this kid?

2. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I know he has had a lot of injurys, but was also wandering if he is progressing.

3. Jux

Jux New Member

Not much to report, since he fractured his foot back in April.

Szetela Injury Update

It's good to see him back in action, as he has only played in 4 MLS matches this year (and logged one assist). I admit that I haven't seen much of the minutes he has played, but will keep an eye out this coming week (at home against Salt Lake and New York).

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He had a few minutes against the Poo. He didn't take charge or anything, but he is recovering. I thought he had a huge upside when I first saw him play. Hope he recovers well and has a good work ethic.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks for the update Juxxy! Much appreciated.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Remember the good old days when we used to search the archives for earlier threads on guys like these?

Am I turning into Andy Rooney?

Here's hoping Danny gets a game or two. I thought he had promise when he was 17.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You could do it now... but why bother?
    Let's just wait for Ives Galarcep to recap the horror story of Danny's kidnapping and sequestration in the wilds of ohio leading to his desperate acceptance of any means of escape, leading to wrong matchup for his career.
    If only he could have stayed in NY, he 'cudda bin a STAR!' Just as so many others have been with Mutts/RB.
    - - - - -
    You already did.
    He had promise when he went to Spain. If he'd been playing in MLS, he probably would have been in the Gold Cup.

Go figger.

When a minor league team sends a player back, what does that really mean? Dont have enough info

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Which days were those Don? The ones where we posted information about European players in the North American or International soccer threads? :wink: Anyway, Mr. Szetela has been out of the spot light for so long I sometimes forget he is a Yank Over There too.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Both Steven Goff and Ives are reporting that Danny Szetela will return to the MLS.

In other news it has been confirmed that BarryP can search the old threads.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

12. pettyfog

Yeah... good work BarryP; You might try finding a newer one, though...

Here's the best summary from Ives' commenters:

What's surprising to me is that, according to Ives', Danny STILL wanted to play for RB.

If so, he isnt even as smart as I thought he was.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, what I saw in his interview with Y-A earlier this week was that he "would be happy with any team but preferred DC United." And that's who he got.

14. pettyfog

Really?

I read an article in Yanks Abroad where the spin from him was that he 'wanted to be closer to family'.

There's apparently other interviews where the emphasis seems to be on 'what's the best fit for him'. When the guy makes it clear that this is only a way station for his imminent return to Europe, I dont expect much... he'll take up the old ways soon enough.

I dont think he's changed a damned bit.. let's go back to the U-20's, he started playing like Sigi wanted him to, and for one or two games after he came back.. then back to the old Danny.

15. pettyfog

A 'Tale of Two Beckhams'

How ironic that in the same week as Beckham's international career comes to an end with an un-abetted injury, DC United waived Danny Szetela, once touted by a Euro-focused fashion marketing magazine as the 'next Beckham'.
    - from the sense of marketability, mind you.

You could make the case that both were actually hindered by expectations fostered by external forces.
    In Beckham's case there is ample evidence that his presence on the pitch alone actually DOES make a difference, when his former club and national coaches wrote him off, he knew better and while hedging his bets by signing a sweetheart deal with LA, came back on demand to help out in both venues.

OTOH, Danny Szetela suffered throughout by unreal expectations fostered not only by the idiocy of a marketing mag reporter and by his local groupies, not the least of which was Ives Galarcep who never could get over the Crew hi-jack of the supposed prodigy.
    Never mind he was given a chance to play with a team having a rep as 'over-achievers' as opposed to New York's dismal record of 'never living up to their roster talent'.

So now, the real David must make up his mind to either come back to Galaxy in late season and show his true mettle by helping them in every way possible or just hang up his boots. The decision will reflect mightily on his legacy. He wanted to promote the game and now the question will be just WHAT will he do to carry on with that.

Meantime Szetela is without a club. Largely due to his own making. His attitude apparently continues to devolve, which is why DC gave up on him.

Time for the boy wonder to grow up and take his career seriously. Just think, he WAS part of a cohesive MLS org that is so remarkable that its former players hang around the area after leaving the team.. even several south americans!
    And at least one International takes a wage cut to Walmart salary to stay with the club as opposed to playing in the A League where he no doubt had the talent to start.
    If Szetela had shown his all to Sigi, he wouldnt have left a negative vibe with the Crew. And dont think other clubs dont look at how Crew players mesh with their mates. Dc finally has admitted they didnt look close enough. So now Szetela joins Kyle Martino, and even Jeff Cunningham as 'tainted' with ego warts.

Now Szetela has two options, but both depend on him genuinely adjusting his attitude:
    - He can find an MLS club willing to roll dice. I'm thinking either NY so he finally gets to play 'at home'.. or Dallas where Hyndman has a rep for being able to 'rehab' players with attitude.
    - He can go back to Europe and play on a lower profile club in a lesser league until he has a chance to improve and impress.

I suspect Szetela wont rehab and, like Martino, will 'retire early'.

Bringing us back to Beckham. He has the chance to still make a mark in football in North America but as a role player on the Galaxy. Let's face it, he's no Schelloto, and perhaps never was, but he can still make a big difference meshing his skills with his team.

Or he can hang 'em up and concentrate on promoting the game, perhaps as an owner.
    Otherwise he may as well move back to Engerland.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Fog, perhaps the title of this thread should have had Danny Szetela name in it. Thanks for giving an update on DZ even though it was bad news (was totally unaware he was even back in the states). Always hate to see talent wasted, and from the little I saw of him, it seemed like he had some. So if it is an "attitude problem" then bring the kid a slice of humble pie and a mirror so he can watch himself eat it. People can change to a certain extent (see Benny Feilhaber, who resurrected his career before his injury), so maybe he can get it together, but flaming out of Europe and then getting cut in the MLS doesn't bode well.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm with SCJ. I'm saddened to see this. I watched matches with Szetela in them with the Metro Stars and with Columbus. I hadn't heard of him in the first instance, and eagerly looked forward to watching him in the second. He exhibited real technical skills in each instance, and seemed to have a pitch awareness of someone 10 years older. At the time, I would have told you that he had a bigger up side than Donovan, Dempsey, or DeRosario.

How you can possess all that and throw it away through 'attitude' is beyond me. On the McBride-Mathis scale, he's definitely Mathis up to his chin.

Sad, really.

18. pettyfog

Don: Danny never played for NY. That was Ives' gripe.. he never got a chance to 'Excel' for his hometown team. Perhaps you were thinking of U 20?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Szetela

As serendipity would have it, here's athread on BS Crew site, which pretty much sums the superior intellect of Crew fans, as opposed to some bitter LA fans.. plus note the gentle jibe on Danny the pretender. Proximity of the two is not intended perhaps but significant and I hadnt even read it when I posted.

Gotta make it clear: If Danny couldnt take coaching from Sigi, he had no effin' chance of making it in the big time.

19. pettyfog

Union Trialing Szetela

via Crew BS, where news like this is leapt upon postehaste:

Ives: Szetela set to begin trial with Philadelphia

Check the comments.. heh!

a Crew BS comment: