CSI Programs = Fairy Tales

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 15, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I now boycott only 'Miami', mainly because of the Ludicrous Ginger and his shades..
    - BTW: Look for new 'South Park' where ginger issues are addressed.

But have been watching CSI: NY where I suspended disbelief about CSI guys actually doing the detective and arrest work.
    - Now I'm done with it, no matter how much I like the cast because of the ridiculous premises:
    Among MANY others:
    A sport coat that automatically uploads files thru wireless connections, but only when room lights are on.

CSI crew dives on old shipwreck just outside NY harbor. JUST CSI.. no pro divers or anything.. and THEN a Methane bubble explodes* underwater, causing one of the CSI guys to be trapped.

-THEN pro diver rescuers are called.
    *AINT no F'g WAY! Any of that!

First one I quit on was the original where the whole show was about a construction worker killed by electric shock... with the premise of nail thru workboot, and fiddled GFCI and Electric jackhammer.

That would be a huge long shot.. and they obv didnt have an elect engineer vet it.

I dont mind idiocies like possible unexplained 'time travel'... but at least they could get BASIC science right.

No freakin wonder Climate SCIENCYTISTS think they can get away with the bullshit they put out!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A couple of years ago, I was at a San Antonio Writers Guild meeting when I met a local novelist -- crime dramas/zombies/zombie crime dramas -- who is also a serving SAPD officer. He told me that policemen -- especially investigators LOVE the CSI programs. In fact they think they're the greatest science fiction comedies on the air.

He said he worked out a deal with a career San Antonio criminal that if he ever committed another crime on his patch, would he please cover the palm and fingers of his hand in petroleum jelly and press it slowly and carefully on a window he had previously cleaned. Seems that it generally runs about 1 out of every 1500 or so crime scenes where ANY finger print or DNA evidence [except for sexual assault cases] is pure and undegraded enough to lead them to the perp.

I asked him if the FBI lab was superior to our local lab, and he said yes. Then he cracked me up by saying that the FBI was very useful in solving crimes because they had a fine bunch of file clerks and research librarians on staff.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

BINGO!

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

When I was on jury duty last year the prosecutor brought in the fingerprint forensics person to make this point. As a way of explaining why they didnt have finger prints on the bag o' crack involved.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

on the other hand, there is evidence -- or at least there was -- that the CSI shows and their copy-catters have increased the interest in forensic science among students.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

If I wanted to watch realism I would stick to documentaries.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Like The Real Housewives of Atlanta?