Craven Cottage in an era of stadium conformity

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln, May 25, 2007.

1. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

In a review of Shrewsbury Town's New Meadow for his Football Ground Guide, Duncan Adams said the following:

At one time grounds were very different, no two were alike, but now with so many grounds being similar and located in remote outskirts of towns, them [sic] the incentive to visit them all has greatly diminished.

I think this is an expression we're all going to be hearing more of in the years to come as these cookie-cutter stadiums are built in England. It reminds me of the stadium construction efforts of the 1960s and 1970s where character ballparks were torn down in favor of space-age, multiple-use facilities. After 20 or so years of these efforts, fans started to miss the character of the old parks. The old stadiums that were left, Wrigley and Fenway in this case, became popular destinations for fans not necessarily connected to either club playing.

There is an opportunity here for Fulham. Fans are going to get tired of the conformity involved with these new stadiums. The one's left recalling the character and individuality of an older time will grow more and more appealing as places to either tour or watch a match--attractions in their own right.

Can you maintain the character of a ground while at the same time developing in a manner that ensures competitive survival? I think we can do this. Fulham fans value the Cottage as much as the fans in Boston who fought back attempts to leave Fenway Park years ago. Whomever runs this club in the future will have to adapt to that connection the supporters have for the ground. With these new grounds coming in looking like they were built like a McDonald's one-size-fits-all facility, I just don't think Fulham supporters are going to accept a similar design to replace Craven Cottage.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

HDL comin' strong with quality posts.

You have definitely tapped into the core beliefs of many die-hard Fulham faithful. I have a feeling you will be around for a loooong time.

3. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

I appreciate that, FFCinPCB. This is something I've been thinking about. I've seen highlights from the new grounds in places like Darlington, Coventry, Leicester, Doncaster, and others recently. What is it about those grounds that single out one club from the other? You've seen one and you've truly seen them all.

You look at the Cottage and Leitch's handiwork with the Haynes Stand and you know you're watching Fulham in action. That is something worth holding onto in this era. I can't see why a club hasn't chosen to build a ground in a retro-style recalling that time. We're fortunate in that we have that character built-in and can enhance it if Al-Fayed or some future power proceeds with foresight to understand that the individuality of the ground is an asset to the club.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

well! This is going to be one of those times where a MB thread precedes a front page post.

As it happens we are going to put up a reprise of a short essay on the Cottage's unique character, called 'The Princess', suggested by the last lines of WW's report.

5. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

I look forward to reading it pettyfog. It is interesting to read some of the comments from fans over in England on these new grounds. Supporters like the amenities the new stadiums provide, but miss the identity and character their old ground gave their club. It reminds me of issues baseball fans were having with their parks a decade or two ago.

Responsible development, with an eye towards retaining the things making Craven Cottage special in the English game in general and to Fulham fans in particular, is the key.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

well, you should, you wrote part of it. I thought you had such a good lead in to the essay, I used it to bracket it.

I added a few lines to tie the two together

7. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

It's an honor to play a role in this article on a site where I've had the privilege reading many fine articles and reports over the better part of two years.

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I totally agree that new grounds lack character but we have to be realistic, building stadiums that meet saftey requirments, with parking and transport needs are expensive and uniquness costs even more.

All the grounds that have been replaced over the last 10 years had fallen into disrepair or were unsuitable for saftey reasons. The new grounds do not have restricted view areas and on the whole provide a better environment for the fans.

The new Wembley looks fantastic and the twin towers will remain a part of the history of the venue, but everyone I know that has been has reported how impressive and imposing the ground is. Likewise Arsenal's new stadium (although transport links are shocking) is very impressive and has character.

As some point Craven Cottage will need redeveloping, and when it happens I hope it is sympethetic but the character of the club and its supports defines its venue and if home changes shape we will just have to imprint the Fulham ethos on to that instead.

9. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

GaryB, I don't believe this is an either/or scenario here. I'm not saying you believe that to be the case, but there have been assumptions in the past that Craven Cottage can only maintain viability with a Southampton/Middlesborough/Leicester (Take your pick) makeover. I believe any plan along those lines would do more harm than good, as time will prove that the Cottage's increasingly-unique trademark in the upper levels of football is a marketing strength rather than a hindrance.

I think Boston with Fenway Park and Chicago with Wrigley Field have proven that you can have it all in this regard. You can develop a fan-friendly stadium with all the amenities while retaining the character fans identify with that facility.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I am not sure I have been following Fulham long enough to fully appreciate Craven Cottage as much as most of you. I've been following Fulham for the past two and a half years and their support through good times and bad is fantastic. The supporters truly are top notch.

A stadium along with the fans define a club. The players and manager do their part and perform on the field, but what essentially makes the club is the supporters and the ground; those elements don't often change and usually stand the test of time.

Now stadiums are being forced to adapt to modern football. Simply facilitating more fans in order to increase revenue and modernize the look of the stadium. This more often than not leads to as mentioned before the "cookie cutter" stadium. Getting more to the point. I have been going through moments of depression knowing Anfield will soon be demolished. One of the oldest and most hallowed grounds in football will soon be gone. It is saddening to seem famous grounds go by the wayside. Highbury in the same manner. Revenue drives the sport.

I believe Craven Cottage is a unique ground that football supporters around the world recognize as a special ground. Fans seem to be vocal and loud singing throughout the entire matches. The setting is intimate with supporters so close to the pitch. Craven Cottage has been forced to adapt not too long ago becoming an all seater, but I hope for not only Cottagers but for football enthusiasts that Craven Cottage remains just as it is.

Revenue can be made in other ways, but famous grounds such as Anfield and Craven Cottage should stand the test of time.

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hay HDL,

At some point CC will need some work done on it, the river side stand is nasty, and not up to the task of being a PL stand. The JH stand will also need attention. The front of the stand is listed which makes chainging akward, this is good as it will ensure the character of the place, but bad because it is a massive added expense in any redevelopment.

The riverside stand sucks the soul out of the cottage and I don't think it is in keeping with the rest of the ground. If they can re-develope it and add an additional 2-3000 seats then all the better.

As for Southampton/Middlesborough/Leicester - it was the right thing to do for those clubs, their exisiting grounds were s**t and they have the catchment areas to support a far larger fan base, we don't.

I did like the original redevelopment plans to turn CC into a 30,000 all seater stadium (with the exception that they were going to knock the cottage down). They extended the facard from the JH stand around into an oval - it had the look of a Roman arena. If they had left a gap for the cottage and lost 2500 seats it would have been perfect.

12. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

GaryB,

I don't think we disagree at all as it concerns Fulham. I think the mistake these clubs have made is not in the construction of a new stadium (I've seen pictures of The Dell. It reminded me of some high school football fields I played on in South Georgia!). I think it was a mistake for these clubs to follow the crowd and design tributes to conformity. Take Shrewsbury as an example. Why was it impossible for them to think outside the proverbial box and design a stadium fitting into that wonderful architecture in their hometown? Why doesn't anyone bother to design the kind of retro stadium that continues to draw baseball fans in Baltimore in spite of some terrible teams? Does everything have to look like a set cut out of the Star Wars trilogy?

A club like Shrewsbury Town didn't need a stadium that looked like what they were doing everywhere else. They needed a stadium that fans will see as a special place to watch a match in spite of the crap that may at times be performing on their pitch. Break the mold, challenge convention, and you have a better chance to building that kind of facility.

As for Fulham, I think we have the special opportunity to have the kind of facility a football fan in England considers a "must see" along the same lines as the two old baseball stadiums I mentioned earlier in Chicago and Boston. If we handle our development with an eye towards preserving and enhancing the things making Craven Cottage special, then we have the chance to attract that kind of sport tourist throughout the year. We also maintain a key element keeping the core group of Fulham fans (Those who will be around come Hell, High Water, or Hereford.) coming back to CC regardless of circumstance. You don't support Fulham because you expect a full trophy case every year. Leave that for the glory-hunters whose only major issue every year is whether to purchase a red or blue shirt. You support Fulham because your loyalty to the club is rewarded on a level beyond results on the pitch. Craven Cottage is a vital part of that paradigm.

I love the idea of taking the Leitch facade and using it as the jumping-off point for the redevelopment of the stadium. That may indeed cost more, but I think the long-term payoff will reward the sacrifice.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Are plans in route to renovate or to build a new ground for Fulham?

I know Craven Cottage had to renovated making it an all seater a few years back, but I have yet to hear anything about a ground change or renovation.

14. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

The things I've read lead me to believe the changes will be gradual in scope.

15. Team_of_McBrides

So nothing drastic like Highbury being demolished for Emirates Stadium or Anfield's demolition for Stanley Park?

I most certainly hope not. Craven Cottage seems to hold a special place with every Whites fan. Hope whatever the powers that be choose to do, they remember what makes Fulham a club that people cherish.

16. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

We've been doing renovations every year for the last couple of years to expand the cottage. First from 22,000 to 24,000 seats, then from 24,000 seats to 26,500 last summer.

This year, renovations will be slightly more severe if the blue prints I have seen go through fully. (I gave them to my old man since he is an engineer). Anywho, I took a quick walk down to the Cottage on Tuesday and there was heavy machinery at the back of hammy end. They are going to extend the back of Hammy to encompass a couple of thousand more seats and then FINALLY enclose it to give it much more acoustics.

They are also already lowering the pitch and possibly putting in a restaurant next to the Riverside stand, between Riverside and Hammersmith.

I'll have a walk down next week and take a few pics.

17. Team_of_McBrides

That would be great if you could take some pictures. Do you know about how far Craven Cottage is from Hyde Park?

Cheers

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Totally agree with this. This is something Fulham can market and sell, and in maybe increase its fan base with.

19. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: Craven Cottage in an era of stadium conformity

I agree. You can see that about 90% of teams in America have their stadiums located on the outskirts of town. It is a shame. Takes away from the sense of community and pride in one's club.

Seems to be the case with many clubs in Europe as well. Fulham has a niche in that manner that very few clubs in modern football have.

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: Re: Craven Cottage in an era of stadium conformity

Craven Cottage is actually why I follow Fulham. Fulham has the Wrigley Field or Fenway Park of English football. And it is in a nice part of London which makes the ground and team accessible to an American (unlike say Wigan Athletic or Bolton or Sunderland, etc...).

And Fulham is the oldest professional football team in London AND has the oldest active ground in London.

What not to love?