Craven Cottage, circa 1959

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Mar 22, 2016.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Found today on twitter @theleaguemag. Don't know the year, but obviously before any of the main stands were built, the earliest of which I can find is the Hammersmith, financed by the sale of Allan Mullery to Spurs in the mid 60's. Both it and the Putney End appear to be open air terraces. Anybody wish to hazard a guess? craven cottage.jpg

P.S. No Riverside Stand, obviously, so well before the early '70's, for sure.

encorespanish, SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I think this might be very old. First, I note the total lack of cars in the photo, likely this is pre-WWII. I did a comparison to Google maps to look for missing buildings. In this picture there is a park two blocks to the east of the grounds. Today there are a series of apartment buildings there called the Robert Owen House (https://goo.gl/maps/BQMEYquBPMy). According to this guy it was built in the mid 1930's, so this pushes it back to the 20's. The history page on FulhamFC.com shows a picture from 1923 but it looks like there is more space for viewing on the riverside. So I'm going to guess it is older than 1923 and that this is from just after WWI.

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.