1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Looking at the Copa roster instantaneously puts me in a rather poor mood. Lack of experience and we could quite possibly finish last in the group. Why doesn't the USSF come out and say we are tanking the Copa?

That being said...it will be great to see the younger guys play. Come on Davies and Nguyen, show us what you've got.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nguyen is a Texan and, like the Deuce, has some 'tude.

Bradley's not running up the white flag. He's just got to get our EPL troops back to their pre-season camps. I think it's a good squad. Like to see Guzan start all three matches. I've never seen him play, but I trust those who have.
    Good to see Pearce back; I know I've been driving a lot of you nuts with my constant boosterism, but the kid got game, and he's a natural left footer with bite in the tackle.

Hey! What's up with Cherundolo? Has Bradley decided his days are over? BIG MISTAKE.

4. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Isn't Cherundalo injured?

Roster is not a big surprise to me, and it looks like a great opportunity for the younger folk to be tested against quality opposition.

Obviously we are going to be embarrassed by Argentina, and I don't give us a great chance to make it out of the group, but it's not impossible. Everyone associated with U.S. soccer has said the Gold Cup is more important, and it is. Besides, it's only 2007, and we've got quite a few years till the next WC qualifying rounds.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Just read an article stating that Cherundolo along with Albright, Convey and Conrad were all left off the Gold Cup roster due to injury. The article didn't go into specifics of his Cherundolo's injury, but hope he gets match fit soon. He is a quality defender and I'm sure Bradley will utilize him in the future.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks for the updates, kickflip and T_of_Mc. I knew about Convey and Conrad, wasn't sure about Stevie. I'm glad to hear that Bradley isn't deep sixing him. He had his best season with Hannover last year, and his maturity and patience is going to be needed with all these kids that Bradley's bringing in.

7. Team_of_McBrides

I would imagine if the back line had Conrad and Cherundolo available for the Gold Cup there would be far less opportunistic chances against our defense. In my post earlier I was rather negative in my approach to the Copa America, probably due to the lack of experienced players going back to Europe, but this is a youthful side and dynamic side. Each and everyone of these players have something to prove. I love that mentallity and it should provide for some well fought matches.

My name changed...huh...just noticed that...go figure.

8. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Conrad is pretty good, I'm glad to see him on the squad. He was a hero against Mexico in the friendly (scored a goal and was very very solid on defense).

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Screw Copa America, I say. The South Americans hardly ever invite us and it means jack to U.S. Soccer... plus it conflicts with EPL pre-season. So screw that Banana Republic non-sense.

If we'd get rid of the Gold Cup and merge it with Copa, than yay... but until then to hell with it.

10. Team_of_McBrides

The Gold Cup is a joke compared to the Copa America. Unfortunately it doesn't work out well with the European training schedule but to say "to hell with it" is a huge mistake IMO.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think it's a shrewd move by Bradley.

If they win any games - he's a genius for selecting relatively unknown talent and getting them to perform against good competition

If he loses them all - it was only the B team, afterall

After today, the next games that matter are the three friendlies in Europe.

12. psand22

psand22 Member

The roster caught me by surprise, but why not throw the guys into the fire and see which ones are ready to take on a larger role with the team. Maybe they'll make this opportunity. I know they'll all come ready to play.

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

It is in quality and prestige, but it doesn't help the U.S. get to the Confederations Cup. That's why the U.S. chose to field a better squad for the Gold Cup, that and the EPL's pre-season. For the U.S. it is simply the more important tournament.

14. Team_of_McBrides

That is a valid point and Bradley is essence working with what he has, but at the same time Mascherano, Tevez, Ayala and loads of other European stars are playing in the Copa. So why not the yanks?

15. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

The Yanks Abroad are largely playing in the Gold Cup - the one that actually means something to the USSF since that's their region's tournament. A winnable trophy, cash, and a spot in the confederation cup can be all theirs after today.

Copa America is significantly more difficult and even if the US pulls off a miracle, they get jack other than the title and some money. For what it's worth, I don't think the US A-team can make a serious run; so why not give the B-squad and younger internationals some experience playing in a big tourney away from home? Even if they crash out, the pool will be expanded and we'll have a better idea as to who will be a player in 2008 and 2010 from the international experience. I think if the WYCs weren't so close, we'd see more U-20s but they got their tournament (and challenges - Brazil! eeek) up ahead.

16. Team_of_McBrides

I understand that the Gold Cup is the most winnable tournament out of the two. Still I would like to see a few more European based players. Not all of course, but enough to help the younger players with the transition.

In retrospect I do understand the squad chosen for the Gold Cup and they haven't disappointed thus far.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Argentina initially wasn't going to take their Euro players this year, but I guess they didn't hire the head coach they wanted. He wanted to only play with the domestic players to help grow them and to make good with Euro clubs.

The Copa, like the African Nations Cup, is meaningless and tires players out. You can't play big time players every week of the year. The U.S. is fortunate the Gold Cup can fall where it does so it's Euro players can come in and play and then get back to Europe after a small break.

I would love for us to make a go at the Copa, but it isn't worth it... unless Gold Cup and Copa merge.

18. Team_of_McBrides

Doubt a merger of the two tournaments would ever occur. The US has qualified for the Confederations Cup after a hard fought match against Mexico. The most entertaining match I've seen in a long time. Well done USMNT and I look foward to the young guys getting their chance Copa America.

19. USSOCCER10

USSOCCER10 New Member

Cherundolo hurt his back nothing major but needed rest. Combining the Gold Cup and Copa America, I like that idea. Really wish the timing of Copa America worked out better so we could send down a stronger sqad.

20. tibor

tibor New Member

I'm personally looking forward to the younger guys playing. I'd like to see what Davies can do on a bigger stage. Give em hell, US, pull off a miracle.