Copa America

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Jun 22, 2007.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Although the Copa del Oro final has yet to be played, first up for the U.S. next week is Argentina. The players they are to feature include: Roberto Ayala, Gabriel Heinze, Javier Mascherano, Fernando Gago, Pablo Aimar, Juan Roman Riquelme, Lionel Messi, Hernan Crespo, Diego Milito, and Carlos Tevez. Simply put: wow. And then there's Brazil...

This sure isn't Guatemala or Panama!! Get out your yardsticks, ladies and gents, the 'measuring up' for the U.S. begins next week, regardless of the squad they bring to the Copa America.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the sobering list of players Argentina is training w/right now. Frankly, I would be absolutely shocked if we didn't lose by at least 2 goals (probably 3-0).

3. nevzter

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

With the Scandahoovian promotion/relegation stuff sorted out, I'm hoping that Heath Pearce will be joining our CA squad. A good run at LB will help him get to England or Germany and a regular spot on the USMNT.

I'm also assuming that Boca, Gooch, Deuce, the Beas et al., will be heading back across the water come Sunday night.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The top South American players in the world come out to thump the second string US side. I sincerely hope Bradley doesn't choose to put ten men behind the ball in order to keep the score line down and not thrash the confidence of the players and supporters. Would rather not play like Guatemala in this tournament.

I believe if the Gold Cup side was at the Copa they would have a fair shout to advance out of the group stages, but looking at this group it doesn't look very promising. Still players with something to prove so get out their and topple some giants.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

We can beat Colombia and Uruguay with the right guys there. As we all know, what guys will be there is the biggest question.

For some reason, I like to think Deuce may be included. He seems to be one with the most to gain as far as experienec against that talent, but I get the feeling we may be in for dissapointment as far as the named squad.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Reports stated that Donovan would be in the squad and low and behold he isn't listed. Can changes be made after official roster is released? Bit sketchy on that.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

9. Team_of_McBrides

Translation of the "LS" in the accronym please?

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Actually, to stay true to my original acronym, I should probabaly have called it the USMSLNT, which would stand for:

United States Middle School League National Team

MSL, or Middle School League, was my pet name for the underachieving and dysfuntional MLS, or Major League Soccer.

But, the sage words of Wynalda made me re-think that point of view, and while I am not ready to let go of my general opinion of mismanagement of the unrealistic self perception that MLS has, I sometimes find myself not referring to it as the Middle School League.

11. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I imagine it means US Major League Soccer National Team due to the heavy MLS roster.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hate to quote myself, but this was always going to be the case with the Euro-based players. They can't be expected to go from back to back tourneys into preseason training. Not gonna happen; never was.

13. BC

BC New Member

Well, it will be a good test for younger players. And ultimately, the goal is to find the best team to qualify and participate in WC 2010. Still, it sure would raise our national footy profile if we could do well in this tournament. I sincerely doubt that will happen without our top squad, though. I guess I see the reasoning behind putting our best squad out for the Gold Cup. But wouldn't it make sense to put your top squad against better competition?

14. nevzter

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... us&cc=5901

Interesting take on the U.S. roster. Buried in the article, Beasley is mentioned to have already signed a deal, but we don't know who. Rangers? And I'm disappointed that Cooper is unavailable, this would have been a great opportunity for him.

15. USSOCCER10

USSOCCER10 New Member

I wish Bradley played in Copa over the U20 WC, much more expericance to be gained here playing with the big boys. Better learning experiance.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Bradley in the U20 WC will be a far better experience for him than the Copa. The Copa will provide the best talent, but not the best opportunity at this time. The US U20 roster is loaded with talent and he will be better served in that side oppose to the Copa America side.