Cooperstown Class of '14

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Glavine, Maddux and The Big Hurt. I'm O.K. with this group. Anybody else wanna weigh in?

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jack Morris and Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Raines ('I slid headfirst b/c I wouldn't brake my coke vial'), etc. were omitted unjustly - baseball is a cheaters' sport, please acknowledge this. Also, the ignorance and blatent indifference, by the holier than thou Baseball Writers Assoc., of the great players of steroid era, when it wasn't illegal to use and in which MLB looked the other way to pad its pocketbook, lends no credence to the last few HOF votes. These A$$es (writers association) need to remember that unless I was buying a ticket, beer, etc., they'd have no subject to write about. '90 to '08 cannot be ignored in the history of baseball. To put only 3 players in the HOF this year in a ballot stacked with myriad HOF quality players is a big Fuc@ YOU to the people that paid money to see ballgames during the relevant timeperiod. I loathe the baseball writers and would fight them all if I could.

I love baseball, but the writers who have HOF votes simply suck. Especially anybody who would intentionlly omit Maddux.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Glavine and maddux are a given. There can be no argument about that. I can't figure out why The Big Hurt over Biggio -- even if he is Bagwell's astral twin. He was a fine power hitter who hit for average, but he was primarily a DH for most of his career. Biggio made the all-star team in three positions, won gold gloves as a 2B AND a catcher, has more career doubles than any player not named Rose and has 3000 hits. He's also a solid citizen.

Wait!!!! I just figured it out. Biggio played his entire career in Houston. Most of the sportswriters only watched him play in all-star games and the World Series.

4. Eloc

Eloc New Member

Biggio has never been suspected of using steroids, so lumping him in with bonds and Clemens is unfair to him.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

If this is in reference to my post, I never said Biggio used 'roids. However, he was unfairly denied an honor today that those other folks were as well because of idiot HOF voters.

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Agree with Nev. I'd love to hit most of the BBWAA with a bat. The whole thing is sanctimonious and is just another example of baseball's archaic nature which has helped turn me off of the sport for the most part.

No sport outside of cycling (maybe) has done a worse job handling the steroid issue.