Cookie Speaks!

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Apr 25, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

He makes some very good points. But then, there's Steve Kean

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Really, what IS Cookie's fascination with that fat biscuit?

4. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Don, those stats you brought up really bring things into perspective for Fulham. Considering Cookie's track record with the little budget he had, it's natural to think (or perhaps dream nowadays) about what he would've done with the money that Spock, I mean Ronnie Kray, I mean Lawrie Sanchez got.

Ultimately, the Board f'd up in a major way...

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I may be one of the few on here that believe Cookie should still be with Fulham, but if he had the funds that Sanchez and Roy have been given he could have given the club some stability.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you can't doubt his side's desire and drive on the pitch.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We still got Cookie -- we still got Premiership. We still got Cookie with the money LS and RH got -- we're sitting in 10th place now.

There, you've dragged an opinion out of reticent old me! :roll:

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Fixed yer post.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"photoshopping" again, eh? :lol:

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

What's the saying?..'If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas" The team was circling the drain under Cookie and he had run his course. However, if he had gotten the money before last year I think he'd still be here and we wouldn't be in 19th.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Cookie's a legend!

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Generally speaking I agree with you, but there were some pretty listless performances in the 3 months or so leading up to Coleman's firing. Maybe that's the players and maybe it's the coach and maybe it's a combination of the two, but it certainly was the case.

12. Team_of_McBrides

I agree that there were lackluster performances of that Fulham side the final three months of the season. It was disappointing for the most part, but based off of Cookie's past and the ambition/drive his sides possessed I would say that falls on the players.

There is no doubt that there is talent in this side, but the problem seems to getting them fired up. The players rarely seem to be enjoying themselves and confidence is a foreign notion to the side.

Couldn't really stand Lawrie to be honest and Roy seems like a great guy, but has trouble getting the team up for the matches. Cookie seemed to have a raw edge to him and a fire to inspire a side.

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

don't forget the injury to Jimmy Bullard. We came out of the gates really well last year and Bullard was playing particularly well until he went down at Newcastle. I guarantee had he stayed healthy we would not have been in that relegation dog fight at the end of the year last year.

14. BC

BC New Member

I too would have liked to see Cookie have the funds made available to the subsequent managers of FFC. We'd be in a much better position than we are now.

15. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Well I for one really like RH and if he can somehow save us from the drop then I think he will start taking us back up the table once he gets to start from the beginning of a season, and have the summer transfer window to use.

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

He mentioned "3 mini leagues" within the Prem. As someone who's new to the EPL, what teams make up those 3 mini leagues? I can probably guess most of it from the table, but some teams may be over or under achieving. Appreciate any feedback ya'll can give.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

It's hard not liking Chris Coleman, but it was getting about time for him to move on. He needed a change and Fulham needed a change. He's a young manager who needs more years and different teams to really become good at his job.

Motivating teams is also overrated. Fulham hasn't been losing because of a lack of effort. Fulham players are just relatively worse than most of the other Premier League teams. So Fulham looks bad when the better team is up for it. That's why Fulham is where it is.

At the end of last year Fulham, arguably, was the worst team in the league and lucked out in staying up (thank you Robbie Fowler for being washed up and not capable of finishing sitters anymore). A lot of money was spent on bringing in similar type of players and not much has changed.

Roy Hodgson is a great manager who should stay whether Fulham goes up or down. Most every other English manager is less intelligent and has less experience than him. Some young, but stupid, "motivational" manager might actually make things worse. A young and prettier Neil Warnock, is that really what you want?

18. Team_of_McBrides

3 Mini Leagues...

"The Big Four": Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool

"The Wannabes": Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton, Blackburn, Aston Villa, Pompey, Man City

"Everyone Else": West Ham, Bolton, Sunderland, Derby, Fulham, Reading, Birmingham City, Boro

19. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Interesting. Based on attendance, I'd have thought Blackburn and Portsmouth were in the "Everyone Else" group and overachieving and that WestHam and Sunderland would be in the "wannabe" camp. Well, Sunderland in time, I realize they just came up from the Champ last year.

Thanks. Is there a place where you can find team payrolls? I've looked via search engine and can only come up with the yearly Top 25 in Europe list.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FulhamAg; in re your first question, check out your pm's