CONCACAF Champions League

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Aug 25, 2008.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

..starts tomorrow. 3 games shown live on FSC.

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I might have to check out a game or two. See if it is exciting or just a waste.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am in!

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I wish that the Copa Libertadores was open to MLS, but I'm stoked for this and curious to see how it plays out.

5. nevzter

nice showing today by mls (0-2). the pitch in panama looked like somebody had spun brodies all over it. welcome to concacaf champions league.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the Joe Public game -- my new favorite club name; right up there with MyPa -- and The Revs were lucky that the JP players couldn't finish as well as they did everyting else. Is this really the same side that DCU beat 8-0 a while back?

7. nevzter

Nice one, HD, I can't believe that's a club title....there was a one-hit-wonder "band" in the early 90s named "Joe Public" and everytime I see the club name, I think of their (insert your adjective here) tune "Live and Learn."

I caught some of the match and I agree that JP should've had 5-6 goals tonight.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Poor start for the MLS teams. NE looked like they were playing in slow motion at times. I did not see the Chivas game so I cannot comment on that one.

9. nevzter

Alajuelense of Costa Rica dons a kit that is pretty much identical to the FFC away strip, down to the LG sponsor

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just a thought. If MLS sides continue to embarrass themselves in this competition, will MLS

1. stop being complacent and actually try to improve the quality of the league OR

2. conclude that the CONCACAF Champions League is not really all that important and performing poorly in it means nothing?

Joe Public fielded several MLS rejects, but played far superior football. They looked like they came from a much better league than The Revs did.

Your thoughts? Lads, Lasses?

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, Joe Public did look the much superior side. And I was surprised by that, I'm not sure what happened (nor the Revs for that matter). My guess is MLS teams will start taking the competition a little more seriously. Nobody wants to be viewed as a quitter or inferior.

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

You talkin' ta me??

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Did the MLS clubs field reserve teams or starters?

The impression the results would give is that MLS doesn't care much about this tournament, thus making you wonder 1) why they're hyping it as a "champions" league and 2) why anyone else should care. However, if they started their regular squads and got this result? Ouch.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Joe Public?? Forget about anything else, Joe Public??? I don't care if NE fielded reserves and played in a gravel pit, Joe Public???

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Unless it is the competition that will get an MLS club to the Super Cup (no matter how unlikely), does it really matter all that much?

Do MLS clubs even compete in that competition? If not, why the hell not?

Regional competitions that do not offer the opportunity to play world class teams = masturbation.

It's not (red)rocket science.

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

My thought, its cup football. We all know how that goes. Is Leyton Orient or whoever the *(%^ that was really better than Fulham? It took Man U the until the waning minutes of the replay to score on Exeter a couple years ago. (name your giant killing, you get the point) Does that mean the conference is much better than we thought it was? Or rather does that mean the prem is much worse than we thought it was? Or none of the above?

It was to this point Joe Public and Tauro's biggest game of the year, the MLS teams in contrast didn't show. So this happens.

And I don't want to get to long winded here because if anyone were to defend the merits of MLS that would get PCB all heated up and on a diatribe but Don it appears your alleging that MLS is NOT trying to improve the league, their contentiously trying to keep it down?!

ITS A CONSPIRACY A CONSPIRACY! GET OUT THE TINFOIL! because Don Garber doesn't want American soccer to out grow him, no no I got it, the MLS brass is in league with US soccer to make US players less attractive to Euro clubs therefore keeping them here! Yeah that's it that's it. Give me another minute and I'll find a way to work the zionist regime into it to!

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Now Spencer........... it's "too", not "to".

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Winner of CONCACAF Champions League gets the CONCACAF spot in the FIFA World Club competition (in Dubai this time around). Playing against ManU in a globally televised game is not a bad thing.

My dissappointment is this:

the four USA teams are determined as follows:
    MLS cup winner
    MLS cup runner up
    MLS Supporters Shield winer
    MLS supporters Shield runner up

Now, Supporters Shield is just a "different" way of saying that they won the league, and I understand the MLS Cup winner, but whey the heck should the MLS Cup runner up get a spot? Does the Carling Cup runner up get a spot in anything? No, it should be the following:

MLS Best Record
    MLS 2nd Best Record
    MKL Cup Winner (or 3rd best MLS record if this team already has a spot)
    US Open Cup Winner (or 3rd/4th best MLS record if team already has a spot).

So far, the USL teams are showing up the MLS teams and with the current format, there is no way for a US-based USL team to qualify for this competition. Want to make the US Open Cup matter more, Sunil? Give the winner a spot in the Champions League.

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

So there is a reason, VERY GOOD REASON, to compete and win this competition. Pity the MSL haven't.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Spencer, I'm not claiming that MLS is trying to keep the quality down. I'm just saying that if we can't fare better in competitions like this, our claims about our superiority are doubtful. In the face of that realization, they might, in fact, say "this isn't really all that important" -- the sports league equivalent of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

I can remember when we happily trumpeted the fact that the USA should always defeat any foreign opponent in Basketball because "The NBA has the best players in the world." Well, we didn't necessarily then, and we may not in a few years judging from some recent European signings.

Stop trying to peg me into a conspiracy theorist hole. I'm not that guy.