CONCACAF Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Mar 19, 2008.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I watched the second leg of the DC United vs. Harbour View (JAM) game. I've got to say, DC looked good. Nice passing, good movement. It was actually enjoyable to watch.

I think I'll be attending more DCU games this season than I'd originally thought.

2. EricD

EricD New Member

I missed the game, but I was pretty surprised at the 5-0 outcome. The first game was not pretty. Did Moreno play? I was not sure how bad he was hurt, and I did not see him mentioned in what I read.

DCU advances to the semis to face the winner of Pachuca (Mex club) and Motagua (Honduras club).

I am going to try and catch the Dynamo tonight.

3. Markus

Markus Member

I'm headed to the Houston / CSD Municipal match tonight.
    0-0 agg

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I watched bits and pieces of the United-Harbour View match and although DC won 5-0 I thought the game moved at a poor pace and was not terribly entertaining. Emilio looks like he has packed on about 30 pounds since last year.

The Houston-Municipal game last night was just the opposite. At times the passing from both teams was atrocious but the game moved at a quick pace and was highly entertaining. DeRosario took over the match in the second half and Ashe on the left wing played exceptionally well. The final score of 3-1 in Houston's favor is a bit misleading as I thought the match was closely contested. It could have been a much higher scoring mach except for a couple of nice saves from each goalie and some poor finishing touches from Municipal.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think that DeRo has been the best player in the league since Dempsey left. Based on what I saw last night -- and it was only about half of the second half -- he could be that guy again this season.

6. Markus

Markus Member

Wonderful atmosphere last night at the match.
    What I like most about these CCC matches is that (in Houston at least) there are loads of fans for the other team that show up. With Municipal last night, or Pachuca last year It's nice to see the other team supported as well.

Barry, I agree with your take on the match.
    My MOTM was definitely Pat Onstad and those terrific saves.
    I think if Municipal had kept their composure a bit more they would have had a result. A heated contest as these usually are, you could see Municipal just fall apart when the fighting/protesting started.

Heck, Don...I believe he's been (one of) the best players way before Clint left. ...and better than Clint himself.
    He's been massively under-appreciated and underpaid for his whole career (remember title-game winning goals at SanJose?).
    Finally he got a deal done last year that matched his worth.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The cheering for both sides came through well on TV last night. Both sets of fans were in good voice.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

DC United ran out of gas at Pachuca's 8000' altudude Hidalgo stadium, losing 2-0.

Houston Dynamo made Saprissa look like a USL-2 side, but didn't get the ball in the back of the net, 0-0. Saprissa's goalie was good, but I wasn't impressed by anyone else on their team; they need to step it up or they won't have a chance against the Dynamo, at home or not (they used up all of their luck in Robinson stadium).

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Saprissa..'home or not'?!!!!!

The SECOND most dreaded venue in all of CONCACAF? {Not counting Mexico's fear of Crew Stadium}

Get Real! Saprissa 2-1

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm with 'fog on this one. Neither DCU nor Houston convinced me that they're getting past this round.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Houston did dominate but they really needed to get at least one goal. Chances they win down south are pretty slim. Unfortunately DC's fried as well, not real likely they'll pull off a 3-0 against Mexico's top team over the past few years.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The central american teams don't even have an "offseason" (a few weeks barely). Unless the powers that be re-schedule this, the MLS teams in pre-season form will rarely ever win it.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ah, yet another deficit of running the MLS on this schedule. Let's see, it hurts the teams, it hurts the national teams, it hurts the players. Yeah; perfect reason to keep the schedule.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, YOU move to Columbus and plop for a winter schedule!

It would be the death of all northeastern franchises. Yeah... Even with a two month hiatus. I like soccer but I dont like it enuff to sit there in a 20 deg windchill and 80% humidity.

I've had enuff of that.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I concur -- Chicago and Toronto in January? Denver and Salt Lake in December? The April-October schedule is not ideal, but it works best for the league

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I like having the MLS schedule separate from the EPL schedule. That way I have soccer to watch year round. Besides its hard enough to get some of you guys to give MLS half a chance in the summer when theres nothing else on, this problem will be magnified if MLS games are on at the same time as euro league games.

And yeah like others said its just cold. Talk about hurting players, make em play in the shit we've been living in for the last four months up here.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I once again thought DC played unattractive route one football and cannot imagine them beating Pachuca after the way they were dominated.

It is ashamed that Houston has nobody that is going to put the ball in the net consistently. They dominated the second half against Saprissa in almost every aspect except scoring. I doubt Saprissa will be so definsive minded on their home pitch.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

My brother got tickets to the DC United - Pachuca game tonight :-D

I'll try and do a report on the game after I get home.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hope you bring home a win, Andy. As for me -- taking HatterMom out to dinner -- 31 years of marriage, and no ... I have no idea how she does it.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

...and I still don't know how Houston failed to score last week. Good goalkeeping and a little luck helped Saprisssssssa, but I'm hoping their luck doesn't follow them back home tonight.

As for DC, they looked slow and Pachuca was much the better side - but playing at 20,000 feet can make anybody look slow. If DC come out and nick a goal early, this could be an interesting 2nd leg.

Can't wait for the Quakes' entry in the new Champions League next year!