Comments on: "Sanchez Calm? Has He Looked at the Table

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Oct 9, 2007.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

Totally spot on. Tom says exactly what I'm thinking, but in a way that's clearer than I could say it. Great job!

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Comments on: "Sanchez Calm? Has He Looked at the T

Thanks Dave. I appreciate it. If Lawrie continues to be complacent and allow the team to play the way they have, with no urgency, things will NOT turn around and things will go from bad to worse. There is time to turn this around, but Lawrie has to be leading that charge and strong enough to make the changes needed to get it going.

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

RE: Comments on: "Sanchez Calm? Has He Looked at the T

I totally agree with everything said. LS will lose a lot of respect from me if he just sits about and thinks somehow things will get better. As though he knows special majicks and tricks!

Nothing bothers me more than a complacent coach who should be putting a fire under players' butts.

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

Re: RE: Comments on: "Sanchez Calm? Has He Looked at t

Ironically, the thing I liked the most about Sanchez was that he was not complacent, based on some of the things he has said. (For example, in the recent open meeting, he said that he felt that only five of the players here when he arrved at Fulahm were good enough to play on his team.)

I'm not sure what he really thinks or is teling the players; I'd like to see a little more anger, though. I'm certainly angry, so the manager should be too! :lol:

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think that Lawrie is being complacent. I think he's trying to minimize the panic and give the squad some confidence. I don't believe for a moment that he believes that Autumn matches are less important than Spring ones.

Would we all feel better if he'd have thrown a tantrum, said the squad was playing like crap, and that they'd better get their shit together or we'll all be relegated? I wouldn't. I rather like a calm manager. The papers, the pundits, and the fans already put a bunch of pressure on the players. The manager and staff shouldn't add to it.

Although this isn't the subject of the thread, I want to say that I still feel like we're a much better side than last year. Also, unlike last year, I think we have a squad that can run as many as three wins in a row. I still believe that we'll finish mid-table.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm thinking now it's a matter of team management in the classical sense.

Any team-inspiration talent that LS has will be showcased .. or exposed, depending. Believe me, I dont underestimate the effect of small things, my following the Crew has both left me jaded and pessimistic as to what a manager can actually do.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Agree with Hatter Don

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am not asking for Lawrie to throw a temper tantrum and start flipping over tables, but the teams needs to play with a sense or urgency. All too often under the Coleman regime the team never played with urgency and even into late April of last year had not been told relegation was a possibility.

None of us know what happens behind the doors in the locker room, but the team needs a fire lit under it to get going. Acting as though nothing is wrong is NOT the right approach. Players AND coaches need to be held accountable for their actions or lackthereof.

9. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Either way you look at it, we MUST win the next 3 games in order to breath easier. Derby, Keno's Crew, and Reading. If not, look out below.

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I have to say I agree with Don. I really don't think Lawrie is being complacent in training nor in the locker room after the portsmouth match. He has always been described as being intelligent and he knows what he wants out of his players.

I will admit that I am slightly concerned but it's early and up comes Fulham's '9 point project'. 9 points from the next 3 games.

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

I makes me feel better to read this, Mike, since you're closer to the situation than I am.

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The thing is, I know how it feels to be so far away...you kinda of feel helpless but I have to say that it helps to be in/around the Cottage since you tend to get a feel for things just by being there.

I'm not expert and don't want to sound patronizing but come the Derby match...it's either 3 points or I'm be serious concerned.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The local papers continually birng up Fulham's slipping form and their woeful defense. It is deflating to read those articles, but are they really that far off the mark? These next three matches will go a long way to prove whether Fulham has cause for concern in a relegation battle or just got off to a slow start.

Hoping for a convincing result and another clean sheet would be fantastic. Volzy in for Baird... please.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Isn't Fulham just 3 points from mid table? I'm not that worried. Portsmouth is a really good team, probably UEFA quality this year. Fulham will pull off an upset or two down the road. Should beat Derby this next game.

This season is going to be really tough though because the competition is just good. Fulham should finish just above relegation I figured at the beginning of the season and so far that's about where we are at.

The Middlesbrough game, week one, is the only game we needed to win in my opinion.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

All I have been saying is that the team needs to play with a sense of urgency and that Sanchez needs to reiterate that to his players. Everyone on here seems to think it is nine points or bust over the next three matches.

Why wait until after the three matches to push the team and get the team motivated and scare them a bit? By simply saying three points against Derby is a must, isn't that a sense of urgency on your part?

I am obviously in the minority when it comes to this topic but I do NOT want to wait until it is too late until we realize we are in trouble. YES, we are better than we were last season, but results are not going our way. Until results start going our way Lawrie and company need to play with a sense of urgency or it will be too late to realize we are in big trouble.

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

so i did some research and here is what i found:

at exactly this time last year fulham had 9 points: 2 wins, 2 losses, 3 draws. the wins were at newcastle, and home to sheff u. the draws were home to bolton, and away to watford and spurs. the losses were against manu and chelsea.

and consider this, newcastle, sheff u, watford, and (arguably) spurs were all rubbish this time of the year in 2007. i really cant say the same about pompey, mancity, chelsea, villa, and arsenal - all of which are now in the top 8. (yes wigan and boro got away from us, and whether spurs are rubbish or good is still questionable)

currently, fulham have 7 points. yet fulham also have the EXACT SAME goal differential as they did now, in '07.

maybe i am comparing apples to oranges, but if fulham had 9 points now we'd be 13th, just ahead of birmingham, wigan, boro, and sunderland - all teams i KNOW we can defeat.

so although our position is alarming, and i've railed a lot lately against our form, but its still really early.

9 point pledge starts now.

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

wait sorry, i forgot a kinda essential part: games played. last season we had 9 points from 7 games. now we have 7 on 9. a big difference, but some of my observations should still stand. maybe?

18. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

I wish Lawrie would bust out the "I'm a Man I'm Forty speech"

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

major LOL here :lol:

Slightly off topic, but have you seen the Norman, OK, Toyota dealer advert that's a take off on this? Beauty.

20. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm basically computer illiterate (have no idea how to link something), but for those who have no idea what they're talking about google Mike Gundy Oklahoma State football coach rant (quality meltdown, the commercial is funny also). I can just see Lawrie incorporating...

'To write that Collins John is on the bench cause the coaches say he's sacred....that AIN"T TRUE! Then to say Moritz Volz threatened to transfer if he didn't start...that AIN"T TRUE!!!! The moderator who let this thread go in this direction is GARBAGE and it makes me wanna PUKE!!