College Football Kickoff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 3, 2009.

1. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Ag, I like Sherman and really hope he can be successful there. I'm ready to stop hearing about mac brown every year.

2. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

As a Big Ten fan, I don't want Brian Kelly taking over for Zook at Illinois, which I could see happening if Zook continues to suck it up.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

You and me both. Course I'd add Stoops and Leach to that list as well.

I'm hoping Sherman will be successful as well, but he's made some basic mistakes so far that make you wonder. Hopefully it's just an anomaly. Recruiting and offense are definitely better, so we'll see. I'm hoping for 6-6 this year.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: UC v USF

Sometimes it doesnt feel good to be right...

..and typing:

Bwa-ha-ahhaha!
    leaves you with mixed emotions.

Go Bearcats!

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Alabama got really lucky and should've lost. Tennessee missed 3 field goals throughout the game and lost 12-10. They had a chance to win and had a field goal blocked at the end of the game. Tennessee should've went for more yards. The kicker was shaky all day from 40+ and they had plenty of time to try a couple of plays and get 10-20 more yards. I mean they had 4) or so seconds left once they completed that pass to get to within field goal range. Could've done better there.

Michigan fucking sucks defensively. I had to change the game as it looked like we didn't give a shit. The offense was pathetic and if you have a shitty offensove day, then you're going to lose by 20+ with the kind of defense we have. Rodriguez really needs to hit the recruiting trail and get some secondary. Get a LB to replace Graham too as he's a senior. Shit. this season has turned out to be pretty mediocre after that great start.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Iowa is 8-0 for the first time in school history! Go Hawks!

7. pettyfog

Bearcats! The best and most exciting team in Ohio rolls on...
    41-10
    Collaros 15 of 17 253 3/0, 52 run

Yeah... it was only Louisville, but so is Minn
    - - - - -- - - - - - - -
    UC deserve #5? Not so sure. 14 rank positions better team than OSU? Of THAT, I'm SURE!

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Congrats Lax, td on the last play to save the day? magical season for Iowa.

Watched the last minute of Tennessee and Alabama and was loving it (Nick Saban losing is always a good thing) until they showed the replay of the kicker's earlier attempts, no chance. Poor kid hit a line drive that wasn't 6 feet off the ground when it was "blocked".

On the left coast, the LA's pro team squeaks by Oregon State, while Oregon slaps around Washington to set up showdown w/the Trojans next week.

Arizona, tied for second in the Pac 10 and in the top 25? We haven't been this good, this late, since Clinton was still in office.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

TCU also cleared their 1st hurdle yesterday by curb stomping BYU. It was never really close and if they go undefeated, we'll have to put up with another questionable season for the BCS. The way TCU is playing, I'm not so sure they aren't one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country.

Texas also put on a show at a very good Missouri team. I really don't see them losing all year so I think they'll probably head to the title game.

And can we please get Tebow off of the ttop Heisman spot? He has done nothing this year to deserve another Heisman, even before his injury. Furthermore, Florida IS NOT the best team in the country. This belongs to Bama or Texas.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Happy for the Collaros kid -- he graduated from my old HS and led the HSFB team to two state championships, and ours is an area where HSFB is an exalted part of the community. Which is a nice way of saying there's nothing else, but I digress.

I heard he was a nice kid and I'm happy for any success he has for the bearcats.

11. SoCalJoe

3 standout games, sadly 2 of which will go unwatched.

Georgia and Florida. Always "The Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party in the World" in Jacksonville pits 2 heated rivals. The Dawgs have been getting whooped in recent years by the Gators. Florida misses Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy (both receivers playing in the NFL), and their offense has been sporadic at best. What gives with the SEC offenses this year? Okay, the defenses in the conference are very good, but the O's SUCK!! Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler would think the offenses in the SEC need to step up.

The other 2 games are being played at 8 eastern time. In other words, nobody but the fans of these teams will be watching. If you have kids in the midwest, you are taking the little ones out trick-or-treating. Everyone else is either going to parties or just out.

Texas at Oklahoma State. OSU got hosed by the NCAA when they went over the top on the penalty for the Cowboys' best player, Dez Bryant, the kid made a mistake by lying that he had dinner at Deon Sanders house, but what the NCAA penaltyof a season long suspension is horrendous. OSU will need Colt McCoy and the Longhorns to turn over the ball at least 3 times to win, but don't think it will happen.

USC at Oregon. The zoo known as Autzen Stadium will be electric. The Ducks could have gone the other way after the Boise disaster, but rallied around each other and haven't loss since. USC and their murderer's row of away games continues (toughest road schedule by far in the country). I'll take the USC, but just barely. Oregon is missing their starting cornerbacks, and Barkley has been getting a little more of the playbook every week.

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Dez is from my hometown. There's supposedly a bit more to it than just lying to the NCAA.

13. pettyfog

First, condolences to FFC24. Yet another instance of 'Emperor's New Clothes' come to grief.
    'nuff said.

The Big Ten epic matchup of the day {promulgated by a 'Please be my Patsy' check from tOSU* to NMState.} Hmm 'nuff said there, too. Buckeyes won..yawn.. NMState soccer team gets to play on next season.

Bearcats. Beat Syracuse. So? Orangemen are NOT NMState.
    Collaros gets another big day.. though now there's plenty of game film for their opponents and the production will slow down because of it.

All I care about ..unless ND lost again. if so, Yay!

*tOSU: Brand differentiation.. just use 'THE'. Heh!

14. pettyfog

On second thought...
    From your keyboard to the ears of the 'Football Gods'

- here's a new thought, considering your track record.

PLEASE dont predict for Fulham... or the Crew, either.
    :roll:

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I said that Texas or Bama was the best team and last night Texas completely slaughtered Oklahoma State. So apparently I'm getting something right.

I've also been right all year about the Michigan secondary AND was pretty much right about the Forcier thing where if he plays like shit, we probably lose.

I like to focus on the positives in life and these are positives(well,not the Forcier thing).

Oh and Oregon deserves to be in the top 5 and Iowa really doesn't deserve the number 4 spot.

16. SoCalJoe

Kelly to Notre Dame??

Word is out that Charlie Weis is toast in South Bend (no matter the payoff), and Notre Dame has their eyes squarely on Brian Kelly of Cincinnati. They let Urban Meyer get away to Florida last time and are not about to let Kelly slip through their fingers.

Rich Rod at Michigan 24 is playing way too many freshman and is getting whooped every week. In Ann Arbor they like their coaches to be "Michigan Men". Jim Harbaugh who is doing at great job at Stanford, played for the maze and blue and appears to be a very special coach. RR should be given another year, but a blowout loss to the Buckeyes and he could be gone, and they will pay whatever it takes for Harbaugh to come home.

Game of the Week (to the left coast anyway :roll: ) Oregon at Arizona. The only 2 teams that control their own destiny hook up in Tucson. The Ducks are the far better team, but my boys haven't been this close to the Rose Bowl in many years... BEAR DOWN CATS!!!

17. pettyfog

RE: Kelly to Notre Dame??

If Kelly's smart he'll think twice before going to that sinkhole for careers. The big unspoken is that it's hard to recruit into ND.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Our team is going to be even worse next year. Rodriguez should go as another year will do fuck all for him or the school. We have our only 2 dfensive players that are any good leaving(Warren and Graham), our best running back is leaving and we have some receivers leaving. Its clear he's not going to do much next year. Harbaugh is a decent option and it wouldn't hurt to as Les Miles if he wants to come to Michigan.

Why would Kelly leave a program to is heading to top 10 status every year? Cincy is for real and they could dominate a BCS conference. He has almost no hot seat at Cincy either and would be in the hit seat if he loses 2 games at Notre Dame. Stupid move if he left.

19. SoCalJoe

Just finished watching the OSU-UM game, Tate Forcier was a disaster, interceptions 2,3, and 4 were pee wee football bad. As much grief as he gets, Jim Tressel has done a great job with a bunch of new players.

While I'll agree w/you guys about the pitfalls of coaching at Notre Dame and the pressure free opportunity to make his own legacy at Cincy, it will be very difficult for Kelly to turn down the Irish job if offered. Bottom line is it's still Notre Dame, it's still history and tradition, and a special coach, combined w/the easier schedules coming up can get them back in the BCS picture.

20. SoCalJoe

Bye Bye Charlie

Notre Dame loses to UConn, they simply can't stop the run. What is Tobey Garhardt of Stanford going to do to them next week? There better be a huge raise for Kelly or he's as good as gone.

Charlie will be in huge demand for NFL Offensive Coordinator's job next year.