Cleveland Debate

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Feb 26, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You know, for years I've always laughed at people who, a week before an election, still don't know who they're voting for. But here I am. I'll be voting on Tuesday in the Democratic primary, but I still don't know about the question of Hillary or Barack. It's weird, because whoever wins the nomination will not have a hope in hell of carrying Texas, but Texas might decide who gets the nomination.

I'm still concerned about Obama's non-specific pie-in-the-sky harping on "change." Why? Wholesale change could affect me as negatively as it could positively. I'm similarly concerned about an Obama presidency BECAUSE he's so reminiscent of Kennedy. It's not generally spoken about, but every single policy initiative of the three years of the Kennedy presidency that became law, became law in the first year of Johnson's presidency. Kennedy was a good looking, smooth-talking, charismatic YOUNG man, and the majority of his fellow senators didn't like him. They did not feel predisposed to help him and, conversely, really enjoyed watching him squirm with dwindling approval ratings because he couldn't energize a Congress with a Democratic majority in both houses. I can see the same kind of future for Obama.

On the other hand, Hillary had three clear opportunities to demonstrate fairness and compassion tonight, and she let all three pass. While Obama used the debates to talk about plans and hopes and dreams, and how -- in his vision -- whoever won had to reverse the injustice of the last seven years, Hillary was arguing about the distinction between "rejecting" and "condemning." It all reminded me of "it all depends on your definition of 'is.'"

The biggest reason I still don't know who I'm voting for is that neither of the guys I wanted most to be in this position is still around. The second biggest reason is that while I believe that Hillary is less likely to be snookered when dealing with the Joint Chiefs, foreign leaders, and recalcitrant members of the legislative branch, I think she's also more likely to be bogged down with small insignificant skirmishes rather than being more single-minded in trying to win a larger battle.

It is a puzzlement.

2. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Hiliary 'talking tough' (aka yelling) sounds like a shovel scraping on concrete. Couldn't stand 4 or more years of that...

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I believe slick willy said "it depends upon what your definition of "is" is. Oh so classic!

Unfortunately, I missed the debate. I cant vote next week b/c I'm not registered as Dem or Republican. It usually doesnt matter at this stage in the game.

From the sounds of what you said Hatter, Obama still hasnt put anymore substance into his campaign. That is disappointing. He needs to be doing that by now - Hillary is pretty well known but hope and likening to the JFK days is not enough for me to back Obama. However, maybe that vagueness will get him the nomination. Not enough for me though. Anyway, Cleveland Rocks.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Like figuring out how to get even with her former buddies who dumped her.

I didnt watch the debate.. just couldnt get in the right frame of mind to deal with the idiocies, because it was on MSNBC.

And apparently I was right! TalkLeft on post-debate. { I think it's interesting how some react to Olbermann when their guy is in his sights.} But if you read down the comments, you find some stuff about Hillary and Obama that HAS substance in how they will act in the office.
    A good point on there - What happened to 'The League of Women Voters' running these!

Who 'Won'? FoxNews has this great focus group that is set up from self-named 'undeclared' and the guy follows and polls them, before and after. According to that group Hillary won based on her command of details and more settled on her post-debate and that was based on 'substance'.

But those who react purely on 'presence' say Obama won.

As an aside: Cincinnati's Morning-Talker and local version of Michael Savage {and Hannity's buddy}, Bill Cunningham, warmed up for McCain and McCain had to dis-avow him immediately for throwing up 'Barack HUSSEIN Obama' three times and calling him a 'hack'.
    So Cunningham reacted, on H & C, by slamming McCain and saying he was voting for Hillary.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That'll teach him! Nanny-nanny boo boo, McCain. :lol:

Here's a big diddums for Cunningham. :twisted:

I'm really looking forward to a civil campaign and a lot more frustrated bomb-throwers. :banana: :banana:

6. pettyfog

Oh, JEEZ!
    Susan Rice is on 'Morning Joe' right now. She is an Obama advisor and a REAL Geo-political HACK! Like Obama, she's really fluent in language, and speaks very well. And/But the content is pure crap.

If you like, and even if you dont, I will {probably, unless HC steals it back} be reviewing her writings on US Middle EAst policies in future months.

Joe is spending 5 minutes disputing her crap to ZB's daughter, after Rice went off.

Why do I watch 'Morning Joe'? Because Joe wont take spin lightly, other than his own. Right after that above, guest wonks pointing out that Repubs/McCain would vastly prefer Hillary as opposed to Obama. Which is absolutely right!

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I actually would not be opposed to Hillary staying in this thing for a little longer, for the reasons you guys mention above.

Barak is in the midst of a substance abuse problem, that can only be dealt with by a three-step program of finding out the substance of what the hell he is so passionately speaking about. I'm afraid he has become addicted to the sound of his own voice. But then again, even the most well-intentioned politicians fall victim to such vice.

That said, Hillary did help drive the bus into the ditch, and with her history of falling prey to peer pressure, I am certain she would be under the influence and a menace to our society, and that she would undoubtedly be a repeat offender.

8. pettyfog

So.. you're watching Joe, too. I disagree she helped drive the bus into the ditch unless you round that out to everyone NOT OVERTLY ANTI-WAR, no matter what!

She voted based on evidence presented, as everyone else did.

Obama's arguments there, as you would expect, cut NO ice with me.. he had no 'special info' and certainly devoted no thought to his viewpoint. He kneejerked to his, then, agenda. I would expect when the national interest, as opposed to his own, is foremost he will devote some thought to things.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I did indeed watch Joe. He's alright, that guy. Smarmy, but not necessarily in an offensive way.

10. Clevelandmo

She also voted based upon the evidence from when Bill was in office. Atter all, he did bomb Bagdad for four days. When she spoke in front of the Code Pink peace activists, she was adamant that her plans to vote in favor of military action in Iraq was more based upon her own experience and knowledge than any Bush had provided.

11. Clevelandmo

I wish someone would have asked Obama what he's going to do about crime - like the latest theft of a goal by West Ham, his team, against our beloved Fulham.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too specific, Mo. Never get a comment on that from him.