1. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Watched the Arsenal Palace game last night, and once again the game showed the massive class gap there is between the top clubs and the also rans, and i am afraid Fulham are at the moment in the latter category.
    The speed and technical skills of the Arsenal players were on another planet compared to Palace, and the quality of their goals was impressive, and whatever you say about Viera's character the man is a giant in midfield when he plays against the lower teams, it was like men and boys.
    It also shows up the plight of English football, Arsenal as we all know are dominated by foreign players, and their technical and innovative play is so far beyond the majority of English players it is very sad for a die hard England fan. The present Fulham team as so far to go, and after getting over the euphoria of being in the 5th round and the fact palace did not get any points, those players must look at one another and say i am so glad we only have to play those guys twice a year.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, the top clubs are Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. Thus, everyone else would be an also ran. While Fulham is not nearly as good as those three top flight clubs, they are surviving in the Premiership.

The problem in the EPL is the same it is in MLB, there is no salary cap. When Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger can spend all this cash on players, you are going to get a very quality side. It is quite simple to see.

There will never be a salary cap in this league, but occassionally you see a team like Everton this season playing like they are. In 4th place at the moment, that is about the highest they will be ever. Unless teams bring in new owners and have lots of cash to splash around this is what is to be expected for the foreseeable future.

As for last night, Arsenal would have spanked most any team last night. Palace was outclassed, but Palace has been grinding it out all season. When the season started, I had Palace pegged to go down for sure, but they have been a resilient side. Last night was not their night, but they are a tough squad.

With all of this being said, the EPL is still the best league in the world. Teams on the low end like Southampton, Palace and Norwich grinding it out and drawing maybe beating the bigger clubs is what makes this league so enjoyable to watch. It would be great to see a team other than the three I mentioned above win the title, but until the money comes, 4th place will have to suffice all the other clubs.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: Class Gap

Well, I think it's a sort of conspiracy to establish the long-proposed "PremEuro" League.

That would be both good and bad... but I think, BAD in the long term.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: Class Gap

I think that would suck. That is what the Champions League is for.