Champions League; End of an Era?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Feb 15, 2017.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The CL knockout stages started up yesterday, and while a Bayern v Madrid final won't shock anyone, 2 potential storylines seem to be at the forefront;

Is Barcelona finally in need of a major facelift? The New St. Valentine's Day Massacre occurred at PSG. It finished 4-0, but they were lucky it wasn't 6 or 7. Iniesta and Messi were utterly dominated by DiMaria & Draxler.

Is this finally the end of the road for Arsene Wenger? The spoiled supporters have been whining for years to have him ride off into the sunset, but there seems to be a feeling that barring a huge finish they might finally get their wish.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'd say yes to both. Barca looked old. And Wenger is old...for big time football manager.
    Not too old to do the job, but they've been treading water, albeit near the top, for a long time now.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

20 straight years in the top 4, 20 straight years qualifying for the Champions League -- nice water to be treading in!

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Barca had a bad day - and maybe that transfer ban is finally taking a little bite out of them, but come on, you can put out Messi, Neymar y El Mordedor on a front line is still top class. Defense needs some new blood I think. Now, they'll go and put 5 past PSG at the Camp Nou.

5. jumpkutz

Indeed. I'd take it. But getting knocked out in the quarters for however many years in a row is not cool for such a big club.

6. jumpkutz

OK, I'm a relative newbie to this game, but I'm reasonably certain that Javier Mascherano is standing WELL offside when this pass is struck. Right? Or am I not understanding the rule? Again? barca winning goal.JPG

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I believe it is because the ball wasn't played to him nor is he involved in the play, so it doesn't matter.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Correct - if he isn't involved in the play then he could be punching the corner flag and nobody would care.
    Barca put the sword to PSG - I watched the end of the match last night and it was insane after Neymar put in the free kick - it was on and the Catalonians were not to be denied. Say what you will about Barca but, even as a club of international superstars, they have heart and showed it yesterday.

encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.