Campaign tidbits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 23, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'll do a pre-emptive on Michelle Obama's "..for the first time I'm proud.. statement.
    When I first heard that, I thought it odd for there's certainly been achievements, even seen from a purely Liberal view, in her lifetime. Then I tried to put myself in her place and considered that having her husband a serious contender for president surely would fit that, IF she took all things into consideration and {snark} considered that the previous black contenders were more clown than serious. {/snark}
    Politico.com got a copy of her senior thesis at Princeton {which has been embargoed by that school, for some reason} and numerous of the blogs I read have looked at it and commented.
    Concensus of Glenn Reynolds and Ed Morrisey is that it's a purely subjective POV observation on what it's like to be a minority in a whitebread environment, and fully understandable. Sorta like if I had been working with a black church/community activist to investigate setting up an IT/call center training program for the neighborhood teens. Which I have done. Social interactions are affected by 'certain sensitivities'.

There's a good discussion, sans rancor, here. Links to the thesis are in that blog; also on that site, observations on Trinity Church's Afro-Centric program, which I largely agree with, though not its politics. Same as I agreed with Malcolm X's latter day social views, though not his politics.
    So I would expect McCain to abide by the larger meaning and not focus on the words, themselves.

- - - - - -- -- - - - - - - -- - - -
    Also:
    [​IMG]

Though I doubt it affects him all that much right now, it certainly SHOULD be a learning experience for John McCain in the consequences of 'reaching out' without extrapolating the possible results. And it will become ever more painful for him as November approaches.

- - - - - - -- - -- -
    Hillary's "We'll be fine" statement.. disregarding the ironic aspects {in the same debate as she chided Obama for 'xeroxed' statements she throws up John Edwards' closing meme... some wonder if she's setting up a concession.

Cant help but think: "Rope a Dope"

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

How soon they forget, "President Reagan has made us proud to be Americans again." (1981-85, ad nauseum) It's all perspective.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Which, even taking into account his several foreign policy blunders, which we are now seeing results of, is true. To all but the unconvinceable.