Burnley v. Fulham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Sep 22, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Despite what the "next match" feature says to my left, it's time for round 3 of the CC. This time we're traveling away to Turf Moor to face Burnley -- a perennial top 10 CCC side. It'll be interesting to see what sort of lineup Roy features. In the last round, he fielded a full-strength side against Leicester City. Of course, there were to be no matches for the next 2.5 weeks at that point, so he had no worries about resting people.

Jimmy the Bull could use a match off to patch up some of the 2000 holes kicked in him at Blackburn, Lancashire, and so may not feature. In any event, kickoff is 1345 CDT on Tuesday. Let's hope we can make this the first of two consecutive matches to kick some claret and blue ass!

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

I would think that this is one match where the addition of two subs on the bench could come into play. Fulham could play a few non-regulars and with a seven-man bench have enough of a mix of players (covering most positions, in other words) to be able to put in a regular for any 2nd line player who is not playing well.

Does this make sense to anybody else?

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

One of the great features on this site is the map (under Club/League News) Rumstove posted of the location of all the clubs. Ironic we have to turn right around and head back to the Blackburn area.

Well after the starting XI went the full 90 :? and in the big picture the Spam match is more important, this is a game for the rest of the squad. I would love a deep cup run, but the likes of Demps, Kallio, Leon, Nevland, Seol, Gray, et al. will need to be the ones to get us through.

The over/under on the number of guys who played at Rovers starting in this one is 4 (Aussie between the sticks, Pants, Hangman, and Hughes is my guess).

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's speculation on Sky Sports News that Dickson Etuhu may feature tomorrow. Hmmmm. a ball-winning central mid. We'll see

5. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Jimmy could definitely use a game off. Those were some nasty challenges. I'd like to see Demps step into the role of creating midfielder for the game.....

6. jmh

jmh New Member

No offense to Etuhu, who I'm sure is a fine player, but what did Leon Andreasen do to get so thoroughly entrenched in Roy's dog house that he wouldn't get a look in this spot?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Maybe this is why:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -20743901/

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Andreasen, Etuhu, Dempsey, Stoor, Seol, Gray and Kallio should get some time on the field. Would be subbing out 6 to 7 regulars, but I believe that Fuhlam has a fair amount of depth that has yet to be seen.

What day and time is the match? Any love from Setanta?

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

1) I wouldn't believe anything the Mirror told me, and

2) If Andreasen was in the store window, wouldn't Leon need some time to show his abilities to command $3 mil?

10. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I feel bad for Andreasen...he couldn't get a game at Werder Bremen (interestingly, I think he was initially replaced in their lineup by Paul Stalteri), now he can't get a game for us. I think he has a lot to offer, but at the same time, our results have been better without him. My "see what they can do (and give the 90 minute crew a rest)" lineup:

--------------Stockdale-----------------
    --Stoor--Baird--Hangeland--Milsom--
    --Brown-Dempsey-Andreasen-Gray--
    ----------Zamora-Nevland-------------

Subs:
    Zuberbuhler
    Kallio
    Murphy
    Davies
    Johnson
    Hughes
    Etuhu

edit: forgot we have Gray

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's what SOCCERNET has to say in its preview:

We'll see

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't be surprised if we saw a carbon copy of the squad from Saturday.

Here's hoping otherwise...

See everyone in the chatty zone

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Ah, groin strain is a good reason not to play him.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I hope Roy has more faith in his squad than to play the same eleven for ninty minutes every game. If he does not then I am afraid we will have a very tired squad come the end of the season.

If Roy has any confidence in Dempsey he will be in the game day starting eleven. I think we will probably see Seol up front and Stoor in the back with either Murphy or Jimmy on the bench but not both.

15. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Are we going to have an audio link to the match this afternoon and is anyone planning on popping into the chatroom?

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If A then B I hope.

The official site is saying nothing about GJ live from Turf Moor.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

45 minutes til kickoff and still not a whisper from the Official Site as to whether there'll be free GJ. I'll use my Matchlive subscription to see if I can get some coverage, and if I do, I'll provide some play-by-play in the chatroom.

BBC also rumors that we'll see Andreassen and Etuhu in the lineup. Does this mean that Jimmy and Murphy will sit?

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Says "currently broadcasting Fulham" but I've only got a dead air hiss.

20. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Kallio is playing striker???