Brexit: Anti-Idiotarians Vote to Leave

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 24, 2016.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

"Britain Leave EU? Hah! Might's well say Leicester will win the Prem!"

'Markets Plummet!'
    It was a REFERENDUM, YOU IDIOTS!
    In case you had the idea that Wall St investors were pretty smart*, look at the market reacting to Brexit.
    Obviously, stupidity knows no Inside Info. They're just as Dumb as they consider those who support Trump.

*Lemme say some will make lots of money selling short against those doom and gloomers.

Gonna be interesting in next few years. Immediate effects are that Scots will start gathering support for another separation vote. They'd rather stay with a more luscious teat. Pains me to say that of my cousins but true.
    - The Brits voted leave not so much against Germany, or even France, but more against Greece and Spain, but mainly to stop erosion of the British Community by a foreign culture. And as much as the blokes grumbled about Poles and other eastern immigrants, they knew those guys would become Brits if they stayed.
    And especially, for those who considered the consequences, against the idea of Turkey joining EU.

- Trade? Look for a strong effort to strengthen Commonwealth ties into a trading bloc. Wont be easy and may not happen due to Progressive votes, esp in Australia. US included?
    Could be but THEN you'll see what lengths the EU will go to protecting their turf

- France will do whatever they can to keep EU together but there is gonna be more leave pressure in the future. Immediately, the Dutch but notably German Grass Roots are gonna push to stop supporting the economically weak countries like Greece.
    But that's a race to the bottom, can Germany save their economy from their own disastrous 'Climate Change' policies in time to make their influence consequential?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Figured this would be 52-48% the other way. Really will be interesting to see what happens. I'm reminded of the old Robert Redford movie The Candidate, where Redford's character caught up with the process and never truly believing he'll win, upon election in a state of shock utters the last line of the movie 'what do we do now?'

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nativism is alive and viral in Europe. The same Little England knee-jerk Other-hating that drove the exit voting is likely to pop up elsewhere in Europe. It's already happened here.

The problem for the average Brit is the same as for the average Frenchman and the average American -- the economy's booming, but the working man finds his income doesn't stretch far enough. Ignoring the fact that all the time this was gradually happening, millionaires became billionaires through tax cuts and business sweetheart government investments, those same power elites created the fiction that the working stiff's problems all result from immigrants and ethnic and religious minorities. "Don't pay attention to how we're screwing you. Look at those other people you can hate and fear." It's worked in the South for 150 or so years.

A generation of voting against their best interests because to do otherwise would be to endorse political correctness, inclusiveness, and other weakness eventually winds up with something like this. A charismatic leader pops up to embody the fear and loathing painstakingly created and ... bingo ... chickens come home to roost.

Turn the page.

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Since the UK and Wales were agreement on this and they encompass the Premier League, they should forget about Scotland and Northern Ireland and form the Premier Country, or maybe Premier Kingdom.

Keeping the football angle, I wonder if France, Germany, and others will use this opportunity to make it more difficult for their players to be in the Premier League. There aren't many English or Welsh players folks on the continent would want, so they don't have much to lose in that regard, just poor ol' Gareth Bale.

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

BINGO! And we have a double bingo, hold your cards....

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

English soccer is about to become a lot more English as a lot of younger EU players likely won't be able to get work permits. Something like Jay DeMerit's story wouldn't be able to take place. Likely the same with the Matt Miazga, Emerson Hyndman, Luca de la Torre, etc.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Much of this won't occur until 2018. It'll be interesting, though.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Would American players be affected by Brexit? I thought they were subject only to England's Home office approval and regulations, not necessarily from EU immigration policy. I agree it appears European players might see some change. But I think the negotiations will include movement of European workers in and out of Britain for employment staying mostly as is. Just a hunch.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I have no clue on how everything is now or how it will be in the future, but I was listing Americans who got to play in England because they have an EU passport (and didn't have to meet the work permit requirements).

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

heh... glad I looked at this thread. This is a gem of Irony...

How Alinsky-like! Except Don doesn't point out that inclusiveness led quickly to Multi-Culturalism, on the way to Exclusivism and charges of 'Cultural Appropriation' if you actually dared celebrate the fruits of diversity. All from the brilliant minds of academia. Which, of course feed us our 'Educated and Informed ruling class.
    And EVEN the flyover bohunks recognize that.

Chickens come home to roost, indeed. Except the common working stiff realized the real political shift was in his own party and he was suddenly being lumped in with the Dreaded Republican racist, sexist deplorable. So... what did he do, he OWNED IT.
    And btw I actually worked in several union shops in the sixties, and those guys -straight Dem ticket voters then- voted Trump. I guarandamntee ya!

More irony!
    :)

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just wondering, do you get 50 cents every time you type Alinsky? I'm asking because (a) you do it so often and (b)99% of the time it makes no sense in context.

And there's no irony. Trump sold the same bill of goods that the Brexit guys did and with the same success. The racism/nativism was already there and was going to provide Trump with the majority of his support. the "basket of deplorables" didn't have an effect at all.

Oh, Hillary was right about that, but you knew that already