Bob Bradley is Class

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Feb 6, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

On the one hand, they haven't made the tourney since the year they were finalsts. On the other hand, the MAIN reason he was hired was to get them into this tourney. If they don't qualify for Brazil, I think he's gone.

Interestingly, he was a 10-1 shot for the Villa job a while back, so I think his international reputation is still high.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

He's defo gone if they dont qualify for Brazil but if they dont fire him, he'd resign Im sure.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Playing behind closed doors for your home matches will eventually catch up to you. The deck is stacked against them at the moment, maybe not qualifying for the ACN will benefit them in their quest for WC qualifying in the long run. I'm sure that's how BB is spinning it.

4. SoCalJoe

Seeing the riots and subsequent death toll rising in Egypt due to the trial in Port Said makes me wonder what BB is going through at the moment. How he is going to keep his squad focused and ready for the qualifiers is anyone's guess.

5. Clevelandmo

I know I cant put myself in the shoes of the Ultras who are rioting in that country, but sill, I dont get it. Their pro league was finally set to resume playing and now because of this it likely wont. They are on top of their group in WC qualifying, with the next qualifier at home in little over a month and now this. Will they even be able to host it? They have an impartial manager who can stay above all the politics involved. If they love their football so much why are they doing this, risking loosing everything - their league, their national team chances, a coach who has aptly managed through the worst football disaster in the country's history, and people's lives.

I have to wonder at what point Bob will just quit. There are more trials scheduled; does he have any reason to think things will change.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ultras are inevitably fascist thugs. They have no ties to any government or organization other than their own gang.

7. SoCalJoe

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Good news, indeed. Best of luck to Egypt and BB today.

9. SoCalJoe

2-1 victory for the Pharaohs, top of the group and well on their way to the head-to-head playoffs.

10. tim

tim Active Member

11. Clevelandmo

thanks for posting the article Tim. I think the closest to Bradley in terms of an American coach overseas is Greg Berhalter at Hammarby. Right now he has them in the playoff position for promotion into Sweden's top league, but there is a long way left to go in the season. It does seem as if he has at least steadied the Hammarby ship.

12. SoCalJoe

Thanks for posting Tim. My daughter needed the newspaper for a homework assignment, so I got the Sunday LA Times, and I was stunned that this article was the upper portion of the front page of the sport section. The pic was huge (it was of BB talking to a midfielder during a recent match) and the title in giant block letters was HERO IN EGYPT. :clap:

To your point about managing overseas, I remember Arena wanting to, but don't think he was willing to go to a smaller league ala Berhalter.

13. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wondering how many revolutions can one soccer coach overcome. It sure looks like they're headed for another, which makes what he's done so far nothing short of miraculous. Anybody know if they're still alive for Brazil?

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

They made the last round of qualifying in Africa with one game still left in the current round. They will play a two-legged series with another team in October and November (the draw is in September). If they win that, they are headed to Brazil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_ ... hird_Round

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

The military just suspended the Egyptian constitution. Here we go again.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Perhaps the American Pharaoh for President?

[vimeo]67937595[/vimeo]

I am hoping for the best for the Egyptian people, but I doubt the odds are in their favor.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's been a while since I've posted Don Hymel's Foreign Policy Rule #1:

Everything we do in the Middle East makes things worse -- for the country we're trying to help, for the region, for the world, and -- especially -- for the US of A.

We have to stop pretending that we can fix things all over the world, and stop deluding ourselves that we can fix ANYTHING in the Muslim world.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

With Egypt in civil war mode, I just don't see Bradley or Egyptian soccer continuing their WC qualifying saga any time soon unless they left the country to do so.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I have seen some tweets that Bradley and his wife have been in the US (and was at the Galaxy game last night) for the last week or so.

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, it's good to hear that he is safe stateside. But I just don't know how the Egyptian national team can play while there is so much civil unrest going on in their country. It is not going to be resolved any time soon either, so I am not sure they could really hold matches outside the country.