Boateng to Watford?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Jan 12, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/fo ... rd-6499046

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The only midfield destroyer at the club. We play a high line and have no Etuhu to protect our very slow back four. What is Rene/Ali/Kahn thinking?

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Just because he's the type of player we need doesn't mean he's up to the task at this level. I don't recall being impressed with what little I've seen of him. Or this could just be more evidence of how little our _utch coach values defense. He hasn't used anyone in that capacity since he's come on board.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Agree with Matt. I think we're enamored with the IDEA of Boateng, but it's probably not a coincidence he a) signed on a free and b) has barely featured for the club c) See B but add two different managers. Shades of Leon Andreasen.

Again I'll repeat my manta about this murky situation: HAVING A BEAT REPORTER WOULD BE NICE to see what goes on in practice, or something else besides the manage spouting platitudes to the Director of Communications.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Didnt realize that was your manta here is mine

[​IMG]

All kidding aside. I totally agree. Sometimes I find myself embarrassed at those "interviews"

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

In WC years, clubs seem to be a lot more accommodating out of professional courtesy in trying to let players be in the best situations in order to try and make their national teams. I would like to know what management is thinking otherwise, because it just looks like another window where nothing is going to happen until the last minute :angry-banghead:

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Agreed. However that would put a stick to the old "Fulham are a well run club and do business the right way b/c we keep our cards close to our chest" piñata that so many seem to be proud of. The question is, is that just the culture (no beat reporters) or are they just reserved for the big boys that "warrant" the attention?

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

From what I gather, it's a mixture of several things:

1) Culture: there isn't the same transparent/open locker-room culture like we have here. There's probably a million reasons why that is, but it's a constant across the game. The only time a player in this game talks to the media after a match is when they literally feel like stopping and chatting in the hallway after changing in the locker-room.

2) Size: We're a small club so the tabloids and broadsheets don't devote any resources to try and scrape up some nonsense like they do with the bigger clubs. I think the only fella that classifies as a "beat" reporter is Jacob Murtagh--and he also covers Brentford, QPR, et al for some small local paper. And his access is no different than what we get an ocean away.

3) Perceived Access: like Mike Shananan recently admitted to doing, there's this absurd sense that coaches are keeping state secrets; so anytime they do 'reveal' something they're probably lying. Much like politicians, they don't think it's anyone's business to know what they're really doing. Despite the fact we're paying their salaries.

So take all 3 and you're left with rumors, "reports", and other nonsense that I could never expect to fly when I was (briefly) a cub reporter for a local paper unless I wanted to be fired. It's all quite confounding to fandom. Sports here are often just paying lip-service to transparency and fans access, but what little bones they throw us show they at least acknowledge we exist. I really don't know if I can say the same exists in footy; and it, amongst several other things, makes me wonder why I'm bothering.

Anywho, yeah, off topic but wouldn't surprise me to see Boateng leave