Best EPL offseason moves

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Sep 13, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Tom touted me onto WorldSoccerdaily for another issue and I saw the poll on which club did the best business off-season.

I see there are numerous fans who didnt understand the question.

Villa did.. and hands-down!

By getting a new manager and owner, then hanging on to their star who was at the point of leaving in disgust, and re-energizing their fan base, at the same time...the changes made by Villa will result in the biggest difference, before and after, of all the EPL clubs.

And THEN they signed Petrov!
    http://www.nickandsteven.com/

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I completely agree Petty. By Villa bringing in Martin O'Neil, the whole landscape and midnset of the players and supporters changed. It showed initiative by the club and it meant the club was serious for success.

On top of that, getting rid of Deadly Doug Ellis from the Chairman's seat got the supporters even more excited and ready for not just a good campaign this year, but for many years to come.

Adding Petrov was key as well, but even without him O'Neill showed what a difference a manager makes in the team even with no changes to a team under David O'Leary that looked dead in the water.

Not to bring this up and get all negative, but I wish a certain team that is close to all of our hearts would look at what has happened at Villa and realize that changes made in the manager and owner can and will make a difference even without changing players.

And to think, O'Neill was available over the past year and rumours actually spread that he might be interested in the Fulham job. Unfortunately, we can now only imagine what life would be like with him in charge of the club. I suspect good things would be taking place.

O'Neill brings instant credibility to any club and in this case Villa. Players want to play for him no matter where he is. I do not think Chris Coleman has this ability and it would be nice to have.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When I saw the title of the post even before I read either Fog's or ChiTom's comments, I knew I'd say Aston Villa.

Quite apart from the fact that O'Neill was by far the best manager available, and quite apart from the fact that Doug Ellis had run out of gas in the '80s, every other team's move caused some sort of upset to the squad. I personally feel that the Blue Meanies will suffer this season because of the fact that there are too many stars in the squad. [Yesterday they got goals from Ballack and Essian in Europe and neither of them can get a start in the EPL!]. Villa had a pretty good squad that they didn't disrupt much. Their best two acquisitions were a one-two punch to lift everyone's chins off the canvas.

They win, hands down. And good for them. I don't know much about the owner, but I don't know anyone who has bad things to say about the Gaffer's knowledge, abilities, and character.

Their away strip looks nice, too. :lol: