Baseball 2014

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jul 4, 2014.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Well, call me morbid and pale, but I'm for MLB just letting anybody use anything... Baseball has always used substances, they just morphed over the years to a certain extent. And if I had to play 162 games, I'd probably be inclined to use amphs as well. I wish MLB would just admit that everybody tries to cheat, according to the current rules, oh, since about 1900....

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Have to disagree with you Nev. There is noway an organization is going to let it's employees use whatever substance they want. It would become mandatory for players to jeopardize their health in order to become a professional ballplayer. I'm sure some lawyers across the US like the sound of that though.

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Chris Davis tested positive for Adderall, most commonly used for treating ADHD. Last year MLB issued 122 treatment exemptions for Adderall, 119 specified for ADHD. Davis had an exemption for ADHD when he with Texas. However he was denied one when he joined the Orioles, never applied again & has been w/o one for 3 seasons. Looks like this is his 2nd time to test positive for Adderall since his exemption ran out.

So Davis is suspended for 25 games including playoffs, says he won't appeal, and won't be available for the O's again this year unless they make the World Series.

This seems like the season of endless obstacles for the Orioles, but they keep overcoming them. Compared to losing Wieters and Machado, this loss wouldn't seem as major. But losing his big stick (even with his crap batting avg) is a loss.

Nev, you're pale and morbid. You're welcome.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  4. nevzter

I guess a moral compass would say otherwise, but to think that MLB players aren't already jacked up on speed, HGH (or an equivalent) or even cocaine is to turn a blind eye to the nature of the sport. Why not just say, jeez, most of the league is already drug-addled, let's just go full boat at this point. There was a good 20-30 years where steroids were commonly used and everybody looked the other way. Don't try to 'clean it up,' just open up the books to stop the lying.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Gary Player said first about 20 years ago that if they every tested professional golfers for "performance enhancements" about half the tour would be suspended.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, and just to make it three posts in a row for me on this thread, a three-game series opens this evening between the two HOTTEST teams in MLB -- Angels v. Astros. Who'd a thunk it?

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Don, the Astros were on the cover of SI, with the caption 'Building a Champion' a few months back. Apparently their farm system is loaded. If I was the owner I'd go find out if Joe Madden was interested in leaving Tampa for Houston to manage that team and teach them to be winners. Halos on fire (going tomorrow night), but without Garrett Richards I don't think they have enough starting pitching to go the distance.

9. nevzter

Madden would be an excellent choice, but if the Yankees can Girardi (which I could see happening by happenstance), the 'Stros should grab him immediately. I think Girardi is a solid manager and could drive a young squad.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So far, the Astros new owner has done everything possible to torpedo the franchise. I fully expect him to screw this up as well.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Then expect some parents to put to the kibosh on their kids playing baseball altogether. I know I wouldn't push my kid into any sport where they have to wreck their long term health in order to go far in that sport. I've seen a few stories and seen a few parents I know not allowing their kids to sign up for football because of the risk of concussions where a few years ago they may have.

I always thought so, especially after watching some ABC after school movie when I was a kid. Maybe I'm just a sucker.

http://www.teachpe.com/drugs/amphetamines.php

Plus, didn't they dope up a bunch of pilots during WWII to get them to fly longer?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah, but that didn't make them fly any better, and it screwed with their hearts.

13. AggieMatt

The Astros changed leagues, sold off their underperforming veteran players to restock their farm system (which is now one of the best) and are using youth to rebuild.

Fulham changed leagues, sold off their underperforming veteran players to fit FFP, already had a well stocked Academy and are using youth to rebuild.

Yet you're happy with one and mad about the other? If this is mostly down to the AL move and subsequent absence of games on tv here, I get that.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The "sold off their underperforming veteran players" thing is not even close. In the year before the league change, they sold off every YOUNG player with any market value as well and stocked the major league team with double A players.

The comparison with Fulham's situation is laughable.

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Not to mention Hardy is getting cortisone shots in his back. And Ubaldo, the marquee offseason signing, has been horrrrrrrible.

It's either some amazing cosmic karma or Buck is manager of the century. Unreal.

16. AggieMatt

Yeah, it was a bit of a reach comparing how both teams got to where they are, but their current situations do appear very similar. Both are relying on young players who they are attempting to promote ahead of schedule. The difference is the Astros are punching above their weight, while Fulham have hardly thrown a punch.

Glad I could make you laugh.

17. nevzter

Friggin' Kershaw. Best damn pitcher I've seen in my life (yes, including Maddux, Clemens, Ryan, Glavine, Scott, Stewart, Rivera, Eckersley, Lincecum, Carlton, Saberhagen, Gooden, Pettite, Rijo, Cone, Cain, Martinez (either Denny or Pedro), Sabathia, Hernandez, Wainwright, etc.). Watching him in person is a real treat for any baseball person. Even if he does play for the Dodgers (wearing #22 in honor of Will Clark does endear a bit).

And the Orioles need to get everybody healthy as best they can b/c nobody in the East is gonna catch them before the playoffs.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Too young for Koufax, though, right?

19. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Too young to ever have seen Koufax myself, and just saying the name Sandy Koufax is magical, but Kershaw (and I'm a Dodger hater) is putting up Koufaxian seasons, and has a better lifetime era and whip than the legend. Throw in all the off the field work he does (already a Roberto Clemente Award winner) and Kershaw is on his way to be put into that realm.

20. nevzter

Yeah, too young for Koufax, Drysdale, Marichal, Gibson or even the Louisiana Lightening. But, I've seen Kershaw twice in person this year right by the field and he is something special.