Bang for the Buck Cars {or NOT}

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Cheap Thrills: According to one guy
    cant dispute those choices even THOUGH I'm anti-VW, on principle.

My wish list topper: Dodge Challenger - even though I'm a Mustang freak. It's just the best looking retro car there is. Looks old, looks new.

But if I found that it sits and drives like others in the Dodge 'performance' lineup, I would personally pass.
    - - -- - - -- - - - - -- - -

Speaking of...

When talking about cars, this phrase sometimes comes up:

"I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me."

Well that's just silly, of course. But I have a mental list of some that I would not keep if I were given one. Even if the giver wanted back 50% of what I made on any sale of that car.

1. Any VW or Audi
    - I've owned, driven, known owners and drivers. To clarify, they drive great, they OWN shitty! Three kinds of VW/Audi enthusiasts: Lucky, Liars, and Masochists.
    Rather discount it and buy something reliable.
    - For that matter, most any German car... exception being a few model/year Beemer and Porsche. Look and feel make the aggro worthwhile.
    2. Any French car
    3. Any 68-81 Corvette. My bro has one, he loves it. I like how it drives, sorta, but I freaking HATE the look. Trade it for down payment on an earlier/later 'vette.
    4. Same with the CamaBird of same vintage. Rather have a Mustang II or Pinto and RestoMod it. Earlier or Later CamaBird is fine.
    5. Any early '80's GM econocar. Got an 82 Cavalier once {circa '86 or so}. Danced a jig when a drunk ran into and totalled it, just 6 weeks later.

1, 2 and 5 are heavily weighted because I work on my own cars.

What are your top five you'd rather sell at a discount than keep 'for free'?
    - just making SURE you understand the premise

2. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

I love the looks of Audis and VW's but Iam well aware of their maintenance issues. But let's be fair US cars aren't the most relaible either but at least parts are cheap. I take great care of my vehicles and I have had nothing but issues with my wife's 2003 Ford Windstar. $3600.00 Transmission replacement at fifty thousand miles plus a myriad of other issues. Makes me want to jump into any Honda asap. I own a Chevrolet Aveo as well and this car as been flawless, however this "US car" is made in Korea.

French Cars are interesting, look at Citroen and their innovations. I would welcome a Renault return to the United States as well. Rumour has it that Cerberus (owns Chrysler) is interested in selling Jeep branch to Renault. This would make a return to the North America market possible for the French automaker in the future. I am not saying I would rush and buy one but I would definitely take a look. Renault Clio RS is an amazing car.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Clio_Renault_Sport

However Top 5 I would never own:

1) A pick-up truck, any.
    2) Anything made by Chrysler.
    3) A Buick. Right blinker flashing for 30 minutes anyone?
    4) Mercedes Benz. They do absolutely nothing for me.
    5) Any of the recent Chris Bangle styled BMW's. They all make me want to vomit.

3. pettyfog

Interesting, Dave. Recall Renault DID come back in the eighties. My kid bought one: Eagle Premier. He loved its 'euro-feel' and ride... HOWEVER...

1. Ask around to car freaks if they EVER heard of an exhaust pipe rusting out.. I mean the pipe from the engine exhaust manifold to the catalytic converter. Most DIY and auto experts would say that's nearly impossible.. ummm not on a renault. The ONLY case I've ever seen of that happening on a modern car.
    - BTW: The Eagle Parts distributors had them in stock. That tells you it wasnt a 'one-off'.

2. Engine damage caused by blizzard. S%^%%t you NOT. Kid parks car in lot at work. big snowstorm. Starts car. Engine seizes due to snow packed in to cam timing belt cover. Belt jumps teeth. Valves bent due to interference with piston travel.
    - Theoretically that COULD happen to lots of different car makes. But it doesnt. The above two incidents DID cause my kid to take my advice on 'reliability' from that point on, however.

'Interesting' is a suitable description for Renault/Citroen/Peugeot and explains why they are only popular in England and France.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

You guys are being too snobby. Mercedes and Corvettes do nothing for me either, but I wouldnt give them away if free. Let's be real, these are the cars that I would consider turning away

Gremlin
    AMC Pacer
    Chevy chevette
    Yugo
    The mint green family truckster
    The car from Seinfeld with the smell

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, add to your list the jacked-up three-year-old Malibu painted lavender that passed me on the freeway a few minutes ago.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Speaking of mint green my father bought a late 70's, mint green, 4-door Impala for me when I was about to turn sixteen. I very politely told my father I would rather buy his Cutlass Salon from him and he allowed me to finish paying off the bank loan and keep the Cutlass. He told me I had decent taste in cars and paid for a new paint job once I paid for some other improvements with my own money.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

In high school I drove a Dodge Polara 2 door hardtop. It was an ugly brown color and the hood and drivers side door had been replaced with washed out yellow versions. The drivers side door had two bullet holes in it - gave me a lot of street credability. It was one comfy car and the challenge of getting it to start on a cold winters day in Illinois is beyond compare.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

wasn't there a "worst car I ever owned" thread on this site? Or was it on one of my guitar sites? If not, it would be a good one to start.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Pretty sure I remember it on this site.

10. pettyfog

Closest I can find is this
    Rahter ironic thread...
    Sorry, Dave!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hmmm; lemme start one.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

1. Any vehicle with gas mileage worse than 25 mpg that wasn't a sports car or a Hummer 1.

2. Any FORD (maintenance)

3. Any early era "made for US market" Hyundai (maintenance)

4. Any "Eastern Block" car (Yugo, etc.)

5. ...??

My father had a couple of Mercedes and never had problems with them, so I'm not convinced on all this anti-German engineering bias. His Ford Tempo, on the other hand....

p.s. Hummer I is my "survival vehicle" - i.e., no matter the natural disaster, I can get my family out (add the snorkel, a few other "add-ons", etc.)

13. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Ahh, my post before the transmission blow. :(
    Oh well, the van has been running great now. Amazing how a new tranny can do that!

14. pettyfog

You need to leaven expectations and separate history from the future to get a great car.
    My kid cussing his wife's Windstar is over now that he solved the annoying heater 'clicking' problem, also coincidence with the heater not working properly. All it took was a little troubleshooting and willingness to assume undignified positions to get under the dash. LOOK for problem, find problem, find part, install part.

As for me... my FAVORITE car {other than my former Mustangs} is mid-90's Tbird. But I would not touch one with LESS than 125,000 miles on it. Meaning the head gaskets and tranny have most likely already been replaced. I know the OTHER stuff that fails in normal use and am comfortable fixing them, myself.
    Knowing how stuff works helps a LOT. I bought my present 'bird off Ebay cheap because the seller was honest and disclosed the tranny slipped in hot weather. I've since put 120,000 {now 269Kmi,total} on that car without laying a wrench on the transmission.

I cant emphasize enough that you should do search on internet for owner groups when dealing with car problems. If you have a problem someone else has most likely had and solved it.