Atlanta People: USL Silverbacks matches (and my birthday)

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Jacob, May 15, 2007.

1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I went and saw my first Silverbacks game this saturday and had a blast. We play Miami FC on June 2nd and on my birthday, June 9th, we play the Seattle Sounders. The Sounders are a decent squad from what I hear and it should be a good match.

I am going to have my "birthday party" so to speak at this game. If you are in the Atlanta area and want to come out to the game by all means come and celebrate me turning 24 and maybe the Silverbacks getting a win.

Here is Kevin with his cow bell and I'm on the far right enjoying my 2 free Tecate's that were given out in the drum section (109). Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

[​IMG]

Here is the main website. http://www.atlantasilverbacks.com

I hope to see a few new faces. The team could use some more supporters.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Atlanta People: USL Silverbacks matches (and my birthday

Good for you, Support your local!

3. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: RE: Atlanta People: USL Silverbacks matches (and my birt

Definitely a must in this case. I've seen soccer fail in Atlanta before. This feels different though. It's a long drive to see a MLS game for anyone in Atlanta. I can't say I could make it up to a Crew match very often.

My "Jason Smiths Red and Black Army" chant didn't quite get off the ground. I was told it takes a few games. Maybe they were just being nice to me.

What surprised me the most was the quality of play. If you have FSC you can watch USL matches occasionally. They are scrappy affairs and quite entertaining to boot.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Atlanta People: USL Silverbacks matches (and my

Go, Go Gorillas!!!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: Atlanta People: USL Silverbacks matches (and my

Jacob, back in the ollllllllllld days before the Cosmos bought out everybody, Atlanta had a seriously good side in the NASL.

Keep us informed about the Red and Black Army

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well I would wish your Silverbacks luck but its Minnesota Thunder all the way for me.

USL games can be good. There’s not much skill to be had but I think teams play a good as you say scrappy, roughhouse, style. Combine the testy games with the intimate atmosphere and you can get some good entertainment.

The down side to it is well there’s not much skill, the league lacks stability; teams starting up and folding all the time aside from the few stalwarts like Minnesota, Atlanta, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, and Rochester. The front offices seem to be a little dim, defiantly the case in Minnesota, and the most frustrating thing to me is you never know your opponent.

I go to a game take a look at opposing teams line up and say "never heard of him, never heard of him, never heard of him, hey omg that’s Richie Willams!, never heard of him, never heard of him, I think that guy played for Chicago two seasons ago???......" That gets old after a while.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I thought Richie Williams was coaching now.. Ie, went from biting ankles to biting heads off of the kids.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yep but he lined up for Charlston either last year or the season before.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Jacob, seeing you double-fisting Tecates reminds me of fishing in San Felipe down in Baja, MX. There was a thread a few months back about ticket prices, parking, etc.. How much did it cost you to go to a USL game?

10. Jacob

Jacob New Member

If you discount the beer I bought at dinner before the game, I believe I paid $5 to park and $12.50 for the ticket in the West side 109 drum section. You could probably get around the $5 parking if you want to walk a bit.

I think I found a fun place to forget about the last two classes I'm taking to graduate.

[​IMG]

11. martin

martin New Member

I went to a Silverbacks match a couple years ago when they still played in that high school football stadium. Haven't been since the new place opened but I hear it is nice. I keep talking about going again but never get around to it. Maybe I'll see you guys out there one of these days.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You guys should have no trouble recognizing each other. Your avatars are hauntingly similar