Article on former Fulham player now with DC United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Mar 21, 2007.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

It's a bit strange to see Fulham sell on such a young player which I'm sure didn't bring in that much cash.

Either Fulham are very confident that he would only be a fringe player at best, or, and I'm quite confident of this, Fulham have the option to buy him back if he does fulfill his potential (and beyond).

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think we can safely assume there's a -de-facto- agreement... plus; Fulham knows MLS negotiation methods quite well, by now; if he grows and excels, it'll be worth it to buy him back.

And the kid's SMART... look how he keyed in immediately on the difference in play:

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

It was a free transfer, according to the article. The article did not even hint of a buyback option or go into any depth on why Fulham let him go, but I hope that at least we'd get the first call when it's time to sell.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Re: Article on former Fulham player now with DC United

I exchanged notes with Steve Goff, and he confirmed it was a free transfer, with Fulham retaining no rights.

I guess Fulham does not think he will be a EPL-level player.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, like I said... if he blossoms, a big fee for MLS is still a small one for the Prem.

7. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Too bad he's at DC. But then again, I don't think he would want to be wearing a billboard.

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

Casal Released by DC United

From Steve Goff at the Washington Post's Soccer Insider blog--(note (Casal is a former Fulham player)

--------------------------

Casal Released

D.C. United has released English midfielder Kasali Yinka Casal, freeing up another senior roster spot. The club had asked Casal to accept a developmental contract, but, according to technical director Dave Kasper, Casal's unwillingness to do that and some homesickness resulted in his departure. Casal is free to pursue European opportunities; United and MLS would not receive compensation if he signs elsewhere. United will retain his MLS rights.

Casal had an assist in the season opener and drew a penalty kick against Chivas USA a few weeks later, but the club was disappointed in his progress in training and, consequently, his playing time dwindled. He played 105 minutes overall and just 12 during one appearance in the past seven matches.

"He has potential, but we needed a senior roster spot, and he just wasn't earning that spot," Kasper said. United had to make the move by this past weekend because contracts became guaranteed Sunday. Casal would have made about $40,000 this season.