Another Outrage by FoxNews

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 4, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

FoxNews is publicizing the 'controversy' over PhotoID for voter registration and voting.

Leading the outrage is ACORN, one of the crookedest Special Interest Groups the Dems have ever supported.

I dont want snark from you Dems, I want you to specifically tell me how showing an ID is 'intimidating' your fellow vic... uh.. Democrats from voting.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Maybe people would be willing to discuss this with you if you would at least act like you understood the arguments against the law the Supreme Court recently upheld.

3. pettyfog

That's exactly the point, I dont understand the arguments against:

"Place a burden on the poor and elderly"

Why dont YOU explain that!

4. Terrier4FFC

Terrier4FFC New Member

Up front: I am not responding to the law or to the ACORN “outrage.” Law writing is usually incomprehensible to me. It requires holding double negatives in one’s head while dealing with other double negatives. I can’t do it. I do think, however, that I understand the impulse to protect those who don’t have means from those who think they ought to have means. It’s easy to say, “Well, I can get an ID. Why can’t everybody else?” There’s a clarity to that argument until you enter the world of the perpetually disenfranchised. What obstacles are there for photo IDs? Distrust of government/authority. Transportation. Knowledge of requirements. Economic constraints. Isolation. What we want is more voter participation, not less. Republicans are generally in favor of policies that restrict participation from the poor and disenfranchised. This is understandable because these people usually will vote in their own self-interest, which is what we all do.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Well, you heard part of it, clearly. Did you listen to the rest?

6. pettyfog

I used THIS:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/ ... php?page=1

Now why dont YOU make the case? And tell me exactly why the poor and elderly dont have photo ID. Because it costs too much?

Now ... let me say this about the 'disenfranchised'. In the US, every citizen gets to vote. That means the 'poor and disenfranchised' get to elect politicians who promise them benefits and money. Which means they ARE NOT DISENFRANCHISED!

Before you start screaming, that's the way it is... you use the best system you can find, and that's it.

Now tell me why these timid would have the will and gumption to go to the polls and stand in line to vote but cant stand to stand in line for a free or nominal cost ID?

Neither one of your arguments are making any sense. EVERYONE should have to show an ID to vote. It irks me that I can just walk up and give my name and sign... even though those old ladies know me.

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

8. pettyfog

Andfrom that link, a damn good one:
    Ah..... But here's the rub:

Hmmmm... how WOULD they do that?