Another MLS thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Apr 4, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was at a meeting last evening, and only caught the 2nd half of the 2nd match in ESPN2's double-header.

Setting aside the fact that it looked like San Jose was waiting for the rest of its luggage to arrive, I think that there'll be something going on at the Home Depot Center. Those who believed that Donovan would pout at the arrival of Beckham need to admit they were well and truly wrong. Donovan is LOVING the presence of Beckham on the right wing. Beckham's passing complements his quick penetrating runs like no one else ever has, and I'm convinced that their link up over the summer has done Landy-cakes a power of good.

I'm not sure about their defense [and certainly there are two better goalies in the MLS than the two fumblers I saw last night], but the Galaxy are going to be fun to watch this season.

Also, watching that 45 minutes last night helped explain Donovan's top shelf performance against Poland. Beckham is good for his game, and he bloody well knows it.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Missed the game becaause I was studying and too danged tired to watch Donovan at 11:00, is there a site to watch a rebroadcast of the game?

BTW I am trying to put aside my Donovan-is-a-tin-man (no heart) prejudice this year. And I will try to think of the Galaxy as a team as aopposed to a bad reality show

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'm not a Donovan fan, but I liked him in the Poland game and I liked him last night - I think he's playing some of the best football of his career.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Actually I was FAIRLY impressed with the way the Gals played last night... it looked VERY foreign to most MLS games. Wonder WHY! Heh!

OTOH, The Fire just spanked the hell out'a NE. And Blanco seemed like he was back a lot more than I saw him last year. If you wonder about the Rev's blank slate... lemme tell you; Jon Busch is a good shot-stopper but his REAL forte is running the Defense.
    The Crew fans dont cry over gone keepers, we have a knack for getting new good ones. But I bet Toronto would like to have Jon back.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just got back from the gym. ESPN 2 had The Sports Reporters on and one of their topics was Beckham's goal last night. Why it wasn't his pin-point passing, I don't want to think about, but they showed the goal. I gotta tell you, nutmegging the goalie from outside the penalty area is cherce.

Anyhow, the question was "Is this a big deal" and the responses were all really stupid. And then I thought, how would they feel watching a bunch of Brits looking at a Jason Kidd score line of 5 points, 14 rebounds, 18 assists, and no turnovers, and then listening to them all say: "Only 5 points? What a waste of money? Those guys must be stupid to pay him all that money."

I know, Spencer: "Don, step away from the television set."

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

don, how is it you understand soccer particulars, like the one you illustrate, and dont apply the same to politics/people?

you ARE of course, on the button, there. Chumps!

7. EricD

EricD New Member

I was at the game last night, and the place erupted on the goals. Like I said in another post, this was an esteem building game against an expansion team. We needed it after that Rapid beating last weekend.

Don, from the beginning I never thought LD would not be happy about Beckham because he would be on the end of those incredible passes. It is a true pleasure to watch what that guy can do with that ball.