Amateur and Pick-Up Leagues

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Jan 25, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Roll On, Royal!!

Congratulations, Jensers and Squad!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good on your lads, Jensers. We're all enjoying their "cup run" vicariously through you!

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Well - our game was last night and it was a roller coaster.

We gave up 2 goals in the first 3 minutes. One they earned and one on an own goal. The boys were wound up so tight that it looked like their shoes were made of concrete blocks. Standing back and waiting for the other guy to mark up and just letting everyone run free. They simply froze.

It took 25 minutes before they finally calmed down and started playing and seeing the open man. After that point we owned it. Scored one shortly after half, and then a second with about 10 minutes left.

Tied up 2-2, and we were working them.

Overtime - we had a ball drop over a center-mids shoulder inside the 6 and all he had to do was tap it in, but he got nothing but air.

Other team dribbled into the box, got tackled - ALL BALL! Ref blows his whistle and points to the penalty spot. Then he ran off the field and told my guys if they left the pitch he would red card them - he was scared for his life!

Pk hits the post and rebounds out. Whew!

On to PK's...

The nerves came back. Only one of by boys made their PK - our keeper. He then went on to save 3 of the other teams PK's, but our boys couldnt put it in the net to win it. Other team advances on a PK score of 2-1.

The moment got the better of them, but I am proud that they fought back and showed that they deserved to be there. Just wish that we could have those first 5 minutes back!

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Jens, sorry to hear about the loss. Sounds like your team definitely fought back and had a proper go at the opposition.

While a bit less serious than Jensers game, I played in a pick-up game last night with some people I met recently in a league I played in. The people ranged from high school to their upper 30's. Well, my little story has nothing to do withe the play, but rather before the match, I was warming up kicking the ball around and this high school kid that was oblvious to everyone around him in the gym reared back and kicked the ball as hard as he could.

Unfortunately, I was standing about 5 feet from him and the ball hit me in the very sensitive groin area. One of the worst feelings in the world as all you guys know about. I am still in a bit of pain today. I would not wish that feeling I felt last night on my worst enemy.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sounds like that was one hell of a game.

Congratulations to you and your boys on a successful season!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jensers, glad you got them going the right way. Wait 'til next year!

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I did some googling and came across this website. I hope it leads you down the right path.

MetroSoccer NY

I, myself, play in a local "church league" here in Ohio for my base's team. So far we are 6-0-1 in our Spring season. I look forward to every Sunday's game!