Amateur and Pick-Up Leagues

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Jan 25, 2007.

1. BC

BC New Member

Being a former (American) football player and having little in the way of grace with the ball, I play primarily defense. My fellow defender in 5-a-side is an Englishman who has tremendous ball control (he can cut with the ball like Giggs). So when either of us score, it's like we just won the FA cup!

I remember one time indoors when I drifted up near the box and the ball by chance rolled my way. I unloaded on it and managed to sneak it by the keeper. My English buddy nearly tackled me he was so excited.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Representin' FulhamUSA

Doing my best for the Fulham Supporters Football Club as player of the month of January:

http://www.fulhamsfc.co.uk/Home.html

Also, as a side note, we have the biggest game of the season coming up this Saturday. Quarter finals of the LSA Cup (a nationwide tournament) against Preston North End. Really looking forward to it.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Representin

That is quite an honor. Good work, Mike.

On The Red Bar United Club front, we are 2-0, but not so united. A clash of personalities has erupted and the team could end up fracturing. We're having a sit down tomorrow evening before or after practice to find common ground, or otherwise some people may be moving on.

While seeing less time than desired in our first match, against what looked like the Mexican National Team (I am referring to the green Mexico-like jerseys, and the fact that they all looked Mexican), we still managed a nail biting 3-2 victory after taking a 2-0 lead.

Subbing in two minutes into the match, for the consecutive weekend at the McBride position, I received a lot more time on the ball, made some solid crosses, and like to think added to the pressure and assists that led to a commanding 2-0 lead before coming off the pitch. We will not dwell on the very un-McBridesk miss at an easy header off a corner kick. shhhh. We went on to a 4-1 victory over Ft. Walton Beach.

2-0 overall, and rollin'. Once we get past a few bumps, should be easy going until the playoffs.

4. jdlecount

jdlecount New Member

I found a group on Meetup.com that plays free pick-up games in Boston.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hey! This morning in the chatroom [we few, we happy few, we band of DC Heather admirers], the good Senator had to leave us to go play some fitba. It occurred to me that you guys haven't been keeping us up to date about your matches.

Please file your own brief match reports on this thread so that those of us who can no longer play -- ancient, two fake knees, not all that great in my prime -- can live vicariously.

Consider this a BUMP!

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My team won 1-0...we had a lot of shots on goal and off goal, as well. I was neither good nor bad...a few miscues and few good passes as a defender/midfielder. I blame the miscues on the horrible uneven bumpy field :wink: -- which is probably why my knee is killing me right now. Ran right into hole why trying cut back the other way...ouch.

I now need more ice and alcohol!

There's rain in the forecast for next weekend, but I hope we don't get rained out. I love running around a field kicking a ball.

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Well - I play in a Mexican league on a team call Deportivo Royal. This team has gone to the finals in the league tournament 2 years in a row and placed second both times. There are 20-30 teams in the league and the season goes from the end of March to October.

I played last year and in the first run out I severed my ACL. Now I am fixed and playing again. Games are on Sunday which is a bummer because of church and family, but I am giving it a go anyway.

Got our behinds handed to us this last sunday. I scored our only goal. Mexican players have a hard time with the crossing runs from forwards - picked up a ball that was sent forward and pit it in the corner. Should have had another - out all alone and I could feel the defender coming - tried to chip the keeper because he was off his line and miss-hit it right to the keepers hand.

Looked like I hit it with my purse. :roll: Oh well - next time I will just rip it. Hard to chip a ball on a full sprint.

We need to get out and run... Our goal was the first of the game and we were looking pretty good - then everyone got tired - Doh!

We all get old I guess.

8. BC

BC New Member

Ah Jensers, welcome to the ranks of the bionic legs! I too tore my ACL and in the last few weeks, have finally been able to get out and play again. What a great feeling! I knew I missed soccer but I didn't realize how much until I got out there again and missed a wide open shot or kicked a searching through ball to no one :). I'm a bit rusty...

9. K.Snyder

K.Snyder New Member

You guys can go to Sportsvite.com , which is a site dedicated in setting up local teams, leagues, and games...

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

No reports from the weekend?

We won - 8-1 I believe. I scored 2 and should have had plenty more - I am an outside mid, but they have me playing up top. I dont mind it as long as they dont mind me missing several opportunities. It takes real effort for an outside mid to strike a ball and keep it down!

I really wish I was one of those natural goal scorers. You know those guys - the ones with an amazing ability to find the net. Maybe in my next life.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My team won its weekend game 6-1. Didn't have much to do in defense, the lone goal came after I was subbed off. And the final minutes I got to up front for a bit, I was a little out of my natural habitat with that. 8) Oh well, it was fun and I now fully appreciate the battle small strikers have with bigger opponents (it's a co-ed league, btw).

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Another win for Deportivo Royal. 6-1 or 7-1. I scored one off of a great pass forward across the pitch. Took one touch and curved it across the goal to the bottom far post. Game time at 8pm! It was great - never got tired in the cool night air.

13. Jensers

Jensers New Member

My club team lost this weekend. Defense made too many mistakes - lost 4-3.

I am the high school coach and the boys won their first district match 5-0 on saturday. I was so happy for them and relieved that I almost lost it.

We now have 2 matches - win either one and we get a trip to state. Would be the first time ever for this school.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks for keeping us up to date, Jensers, and hope you and your kids get to state!

15. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Jensers that is great! Good luck with your next games.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Absolutely keep us updated Jensers. Name and location of school?

17. Jensers

Jensers New Member

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

My boys had the first of the 2 games I talked about a few posts ago - played Highland - returning state champs - @ Highland.

Big game and we threw everything we had at them - Finished regulation 0-0, took them to Overtime, then to PK's... And - we lost in PK's. Doh!

Very proud of the players tho - they surprised everyone and really stepped up.

We have one final game this Saturday - we win - on to State. We lose - time to turn in the gear.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I dont know if anyone is still following this thread - but we won! 2-0!! We end districts with a clean sheet for the tournament, and we have our first State game Tuesday night. First time this school has ever been to State! First time we have ever beat Connell (the team we played today) at their field. Only the second time we have beaten them in school history.

What a great day for the boys...

20. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Congrats Jensers! what a thrill for you and your kids. Checked out the link you provided, those rolling hills in the background reminded me of many a trip to Yakima. Please keep the updates coming and enjoy the moment.