Accepting losing?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by bigwilly087, Aug 11, 2007.

1. bigwilly087

bigwilly087 New Member

In an AP article I just read, Sanchez talks about Arsenal, how they might not be able to bridge the gap of the top two, and then predicts that the top four will remain the same. Does this comment strike anyone as a little depressing?

I mean, we all know that the odds of Fulham finishing in the top 4 are slim to none, but I don't expect the manager to say that. Even with a much smaller pay-roll than the top clubs wouldn't one expect a prediction of top of the table results?

Maybe its just the American in me. I currently live in Pittsburgh where the Pirates have a tiny payroll, and coming into this season had 14 consecutive losing seasons.Nevertheless, the manager predicted top of the division results, and expected it of his players. Right before the allstar break they were only 7 games back and once again the manager predicted a pennet push. Granted, since then the team has fallen apart, but the point is the manager had faith in his team going into the season that they could finish at the top.

What makes the premier league different where teams accept the fact that they won't be able to break into the top 4. ITs a game after all, and games arent played on paper!

What do you guys think?

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7 ... 62&ATT=176

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I think that it is LS is being a realist. Fulham are not capable of finishing in the top 4 as we do not have the consistency to do this. We can and have beaten all of the top four teams and will continue to be a test for any top teams. Sanchez has said that we should be top 8 - for me that is like a prediction of winning the league, it is very unlikely but - if everything goes as planned - we can do it.

If he had say we can win the league of get a Champions League place then he would be laughed off as a joke and any credibility he had would be gone.

29 1/2 hours to go., COYW

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I understand where BigWilly is coming from, but I do NOT think it is an equal thing to compare baseball with soccer. In baseball, because of pitching matchups and such, any team can win on any given day. However, over 162 games, the cream usually rises to the top.

In soccer, with only 38 matches, the best teams usually win every game. That is not to say an upset does not happen from time to time, but it is not like teams change something as in baseball like the pitchers to have a different team week in and week out. Therefore, the quality teams with the quality players are usually the ones who finish at the top.

I think Lawrie was perfectly fine saying what he did. It is a bit depressing that there are probably only five teams competing for the top four positions. It would be nice if there were more, but that is the Premiership. Five is better than two. I remember just four-five seasons ago when it was just Manchester United and Arsenal fighting it out.

As GBFC said, Sanchez is a realist and I like honest managers. There is no sense in blowing smoke up our asses about unrealistic expectations.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Progress in this league is measured over multiple seasons, not just one.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The comments don't both me. As mentioned earlier in this thread LS is being realistic. He would be the laughing stock of the prem if he claimed Fulham would be challenging the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea for the league. He understands Fulham's limitations and he is looking to improve gradually. LS didn't change Northern Ireland's fortunes over night. It will take some time, but I am confident in his quality as a manager.

6. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Nah, Sanchez is right. I'm sure he'd welcome an upset, especially by his own club, but I think he's being realistic about what the turnout will be.

However, if Man City can keep up their good run, you never know. I hope Bolton goes down and stays down.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The one thing I can't stand is a coach who is publicly full of shit. If Lawrie sanchez says Fulham can hope for the top four he deserves to be laughed at. He can hope for a Carling Cup or FA Cup victory, but hoping to make the Champions League is ludicrous.

Coaches should not play the fool in front of the TV or tape recorder. In the lockerroom say whatever you want, but not publicly.