A retrospective on Claudio Reyna

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 1, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

End of an era
    - Ives Galarcep

read it all

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He's the best outfield player ever to put on the USA jersey, in my very humble opinion. It's going to be hard if not impossible to replace him.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yesterday during FRA-Brazil FSC showed US-England from Wembley in 1994. Claudio had way to much hair back then! I only saw bits and pieces as the other match on was of more conscequence.
    But there was some great stuff. Lalas and Shearer were going at it for a while. It makes me wonder if are current players are really more skilled and talented than those guys.

Lalas and Balboa in their day were pretty damn good. Players like Earnie Stewart, Cobi Jones, Tomas Dooley, Friedel all looked pretty good. The broadcast talked about how Cobi had just signed with Converty City in the 1st division. Times change.

Most striking the players didn't back down. It was a hostile crowd, booing the national anthem and stuff. I guess England didn't attract the best members of society back in 94 :shock: They went down 2-0 in the first half but held it there. They didn't seem at all intimidated or flustered. Lalas getting in a shouting match with Shearer kinda summed it up for me. The guys on the current squad should take notes. Get some heart and grit.