A little credit for Brendan?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 23, 2015.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I believe that the stat I saw was that Liverpool had now accumulated 23 points from their last 9 matches. Certainly, when you consider that the best player in the league last season was replaced with Mario Balotelli, SOMEBODY has to give Brendan Rodgers some credit for how well Liverpool has adjusted -- midseason -- into the toughest opponent in the Premier League.

Since nobody in London will give anything associated with Liverpool any credit for anything, and since Rodgers is from Northern Ireland, it's fairly clear that he won't get a lot of love from much of the UK. So, let it be a Yank from the Peoples Republic of South Texas who does so.

The results the Reds are getting now without Luiz Suarez have to be down to their management. Amazing.

nevzter, encorespanish and AggieMatt like this.
  2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

You read my mind Don....well, sort of. I'm not that fond of any of our former opponents in the Premier League, but I'm hoping the Scousers will make a run at the top four, although they're a good 15 points out of first. The reason? They had the moral courage to cut Suarez loose when it became obvious he was more of a liability to them than an asset. And that's saying something, given his abilities on the pitch. Although they didn't handle it well when he started biting in England, they did the only thing they could do when he "reoffended" in Brazil. You're right, they've weathered the storm and righted the ship. Rodgers and others at the club deserve a lot of credit. I liked all of the managers who got clubs newly promoted when he was at Swansea: he, Paul Lambert and Michael Laudrup. Now he's the only one who's survived at a bigger club.

nevzter likes this.
  3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

They're definitely on a roll at this point - Mr. Rodgers is a calming force, his post match comments are very succinct, even erudite. While he has quite a bit of talent to draw from - he does very well in team management. Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling, Lovrens, Ibe, Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas and not to mention he can regularly bring Balotelli, Lambert, Allen, Lallana, etc. off the bench, I'd expect them to break into the top four again this year by close of season.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015