A Few Football-Related Questions

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Oct 17, 2006.

1. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Hey all - I've played soccer pretty much all my life (well, the last 22 years at least), and while I've got a pretty good handle on the technical aspect of the game, I've only begun following top-flight football this year. I have a few general questions.

I often see people standing around the center circle before games and at halftime. They seem to be security. Who are they? And why do they stand (seemingly only) around the circle?

Are trades/transfers only allowed to be made during the transfer windows? And when, specifically, are these transfer windows? Also, can players be loaned at any time or are there specific "loan windows" as well? Any particular reason why the league has these transfer windows? And are these generally around the same time for all the Euro leagues?

(I posed this one in a previous post, and no one seemed to have a definitive answer): Often, after a player scores a goal, I'll see him celebrating by kissing his fist. What does this mean? Some people think it's a sign to the player's wife; others think it may be Catholicism related (like kissing the pope's ring). Any ideas?

Is there any rhyme or reason to the games selected by FSC to show? It seems like they show Middlesbrough ALL the time, even though they suck and are a bunch of thugs (can you tell I don't like 'em?). I understand wanting Chelsea and Man United and Arsenal on because of popularity, but why more Boro and less Liverpool, say?

And finally, with those ridiculous glasses and the huge dreads, are we actually supposed to take Tottenham's Edgar Davids seriously? There's a guy in my indoor league who wears those glasses (but he's white--no dreads) and I make it a point to NEVER let him score on me! :lol:

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hi Tony,

The people on the centre cicle are often securty or ground staff, what they do is look hard and important!

In Eurpoe top division teams can only make transfers during a 2 peoriods, the longest is at the end of the season during the summer break, there is also a 1 month period during January.

Player celebrations are best known to players themselves. When Brian McBride scores he kisses the ring on his hand, but some players will celebrate based on topical events. There are some very wierd celebrations out there which would fill a forum, so there is no definitive answer as footballers are not a conformist bunch.

The cames shown are linked to the games covered by the host broadcaster in the UK. Sky select the set of live games in blocks (of 3 months I think) based upon interest of game, size of team (i.e. Man U will be shown more!) and entertainment. Some of the games Sky carry are pay per view and so they want teams with large fan bases, so Man U - Man City will be shown on PPV as lots of their mindless fans will pay for it. Fulham get shown mostly on free view as they are entertaining. This week we play Villa which is PPV as they expect Villa to win and they are well supported so lots of Villa fans will pay.

Edgar Davids glasses are for medical reasons and he needed special dispensation to wear them. His eyes are extreemly sensitive to bright light and they are not a fashion statment. The glasses were designed expecially with saftey in mind which is why they are wrap-a-round. The chances are the guy in your league should not be wearing them as they are not up to saftey spec, and if he goes in for a header with you he may but smashed glass in your skull.

Hope this helps.

Stu

3. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Thanks Stu! (And now I'm going to go kick myself in the ass for 3 hours for making fun of Davids' glasses... whoops... although I still think the guy in my league wears 'em because he thinks it looks cool)

4. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I recon the guy in your league is a tool and a quick elbow across the nose should sort him out! A no-one likes Davids anyhow.