9 Points, 5 Matches

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FulhamAg, Apr 21, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

We've talked about FFC's best finish in the Premier League being 8th and highest points finish being 52. So with 5 to go and 44 pts in our pocket, here's the runout:

v Stoke
    @ chelsea
    v Villa
    @ Newcastle
    v Everton

We'd need 9 pts to set a new high in points. However, I don't think we'll need 52 pts to finish 8th.

So, do you see enough points in that schedule? I'm leaning toward 6 pts, but wouldn't be surprised by 8.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

I wouldn't be surprised by 8 (actually, as well as FFC play at home, I don't think I'd even be surprised by 10 or 12), but I wouldn't be surprised by 3 or 4 either.

3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I see 7 or 8.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

We have Arsenal right where we want them....

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: 9 Points, 5 Matches

i'm not surprised your not surprised

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I expect 6 at home and 3 on the road

or

7 at home and 4 on the road

but it might be

6 at home and 1 on the road

so, between 7 and 11 is my definite maybe certainly for sure. And a guaranteed, lock, solid finish in 7th place -- or maybe 8th or 9th, but definitely not 10th ... unless . ....

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

v Stoke - 3 points
    ----> we play well at home and Stoke don't have the quality to match us.

@ chelsea - 1 point
    ----> we're always up for Chelsea, who have other things on their mind.

v Villa - 1 point
    ----> they're a good side, but what do they have to play for?

@ Newcastle - 3 points
    ----> they'll already be relegated at this point.

v Everton - 3 points
    ----> like Portsmouth last year, this team will be focused on the FA Cup Final.

I predict 11 points.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

v. Stoke -- 3 pts -- Stoke ain't gonna get it done in the Cottage.
    @ Chelski -- because of all the competitions they are in, I'll optimistically say one point.
    v. Villa -- if they're still in a downward spiral, I'll say all three to the Ws
    @ Toon -- NO COMMENT. I don't want to jinx anything.
    v Everton -- 3points to us since the home side always wins this fixture. And, for the second year in a row, we close against an FA Cup finalist (and hopefully the eventual winner as well for the second time in a row) I see us winning this fixture as Timmy, Lescott, Jagielka, and whoever they pulled out of the stands to play striker will get the day off.

However, a macroanalysis will say, 9-10 points. I hope.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I find this heartening. Scroll down to Fulham's section and see what Clint has to say. Based on what he has to say and the character this team has showed this year, I do not see anyone with one eye on the summer break in the dressing room.

11. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Can someone help this rookie understand the whole who-gets-to-play-in-Europe thing? Tell me if I've got this right...

The EPL gets 7 spots in European play. 4 in the Champs League and 3 in the Europa League.

Top four finishers in the table get the Champs League spots.

The 3 Europa League spots are where it gets a little fuzzy for me. As I understand it, one goes to the League Cup winner and one goes to the FA Cup winner, and the third goes to the 5th-place team on the league table.

But, if the League Cup and/or FA Cup winner have already qualified for European play, then those spots go to the next-highest finisher(s) in the table. Is that right?

So, since Man U won the League Cup, and since they will qualify for the Champs League, then the 6th place team gets a Europa League spot. Right?

And since Chelsea will qualify for a Champs Leage spot, if they win the FA cup, the 7th place team gets to go to the Europa League. Do I have that right?

Also, if Everton wins the FA Cup, and finishes in 6th place (or higher) in the table, then the 7th place team gets a spot. Right?

So, basically, if Fulham can climb to the 7th spot, they are likely to be playing in the Europa League.

Can you guys confirm all that for me?

This reminds me of a scene from Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life" where John Cleese is a teacher at an English boarding school, giving the boys these convoluted instructions on the days activities. "IF you plan to write a letter home today, then move your coat to the lower peg, UNLESS you have a younger brother who is also writing a letter, In which case you LEAVE your coat on the UPPER peg and..."

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

looks good to me, and you get extra points for a Monty Python reference. Unfortunatly, you didn't get enough extra points to qualify you for Europe, but you DID get enough to allow you to read a book about Australia if there's one in your local library.

13. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

You're correct. There is one weird thing that isn't really relevant this season - if the FA Cup winner is already qualified, that spot goes to the runner-up. If that team is qualified then (I think) it goes to the next-highest league finisher. The League Cup runner-up can't qualify this way, however.

14. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Wow, that's a twist I didn't know about.

So if the FA Cup Final featured Chelsea against some middle or bottom table team -- say, Man City -- we'd really really really be hoping for a Chelsea loss. Because if Chelsea wins, then Man City goes to Europa League and Fulham stays home, even if Fulham has climbed to 7th place on the table.

Wow... so much to learn.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

still simpler than the tie-breaker system for the NFL playoffs.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

So is calculus.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

great line!