'25 Greatest Sports movies'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 13, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

{version XXIXMLV}

This time from NY Daily Mail

Whoever made this list did a pretty damn good job. Cant say I can take much issue with either their nominees or the rankings.

Note that 'Victory' WASNT on it and 'Breaking Away' and 'Chariots of Fire' were.
    Breaking Away was the outstanding surprise of all of them, perhaps.

Imagine, my little group of beer swilling, girl chasing, hot rod racin' cronies getting all choked up about it. Oh... wait.. 'WE WERE ALL CUTTERS!'

Those who wanted something from the baseballer bio-epics of the forty's and fifty's have some weight with me but typically they were overly laden with soap-ish melodrama.

* unknown if 'Air Bud' and even stupider 'Soccer Dog' were auto-eliminated. If so, explains anything with Shaq not making the list. The terriers are better actors.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Not a bad list. I'd disagree with a couple, however:

1. Caddyshack is a very funny movie, but golf is NOT a sport.
    2. Pride of the Yankees is a god-awful movie, one of the very worst of its genre.
    3. Ranking Major League above Eight Men Out is a little off, I'd say.
    4. Ricky Bobby, really? If you want to have a movie about stock car racing on your list, how about The Last American Hero? But what do New Yorkers know about NASCAR?

8)

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Enough to know it's less of a sport than golf?

4. pettyfog

If tennis is a sport, so is golf. Unless you want to rule out track and field events, too.

So is auto racing, at the top tiers. Ricky Bobby a sports movie, not so sure. but then, you'd have to question Slap-Shot.
    Greco roman Wrestling {college} is a sport. WWE and the countless copies are not.
    I'm not sure about Ultimate Fighting being a sport.. I do know I think it's an abomination akin to colosseum circuses of the Roman Empire.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My thing about golf is this. I had a bud in the Air Force who had about a 8 or 9 handicap. One year he went up to the Royal and Ancient to watch the British Open. He played the course on Monday -- before they had a chance to move the pins and soften up the course -- and shot one-under. Playing with him was a Scots businessman in his late 50s, who was about 40 pounds overweight. He shot TWO under.

Golf takes skill and discipline, but when guys who spend their entire working lives in an office can retire to Miami and shoot in the 70s, there's obviously not a lot of athleticism involved.

Last shot at golf -- before you ask, yeah I sucked at it so bad I quit in my mid-30s having never broken 100 -- what do retired golfers do for diversion? Play basketball?

6. pettyfog

They dont SOFTEN the course, Don. All other tourna's make it tougher.

7. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I don't see my favorite movie BASEketball.

Any movie where I get to hear Al Michaels and Bob Costas make dirty remarks is awesome. Here is one of my favorites:

Bob Costas: It's hard to believe that just five years ago this game was played only in driveways.
    Al Michaels: [camera shifts to Beers cheerleaders] Yes, it's also hard to believe that just five years ago those girls were only in grade school.

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Pool is less of a sport than golf.

With all due respect, and I'm saying "with all due respect", Talledega Nights is a classic and should be ranked up there with Caddyshack