2012-13 Manager sacking predictions

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Aug 18, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

We forgot to start our yearly bragging rights pool(s).

Who will be the first manager to go?

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

DiMatteo. Abramovich is a bloody idiot.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm going with Chris Hughton.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with either of the above choices. Chelscum looked good this morning, but DiMatteo only has a one year deal. I would add AVB to the list Spurs get off to sluggish start.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

DiMatteo, Sparky and Rodgers are all good shouts. There are others I think will struggle, but their management have proven to be more patient (Villa, Norwich, Swans, Wigan).

Like the other thread, I may change my pick by 9/1 but I'll go with Hughes. He's been there a year. He hasn't fixed the back. I think they'll lose patience with him b/c with the way they bleed goals, I fully expect them to be in the relegation fight or just above it.

Rodgers would be my 2nd pick b/c Liverpool seem to be so impatient and absent of any clear direction.

DiMatteo probably bought himself enough grace with the CL win to outlast those two, plus he's playing it pretty safe and they likely won't have the radical swings that put managers on the hot seat.

Dark horse.....Mancini. They ship more goals than a top side should and that could bite him. His margin for error will depend a lot on what happens on the red side of town.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

DiMatteo for me. Roman doesn't want him, but had to hire him after winning the ECL. I think he's gone as soon as there's a few slipups. I'm afraid that Norwich won't have enough patience for Hughton. I think he's a fine manager who gets practically zero respect.

No votes for Jol?

7. SoCalJoe

A special mention goes to Steve Kean who announced his resignation at Blackburn due to his position being 'untenable'. I know he was in the wrong division for this thread, but how he didn't get sacked last season on the Rovers way to relegation was the mystery of the year. After the phenom the fans showed Kean last year at their home matches, perhaps it was the torches and pitchforks that finally ran him out of town.

Mark Hughes w/a big home match v the Spammers today. A loss and the rumblings will begin.

Have to add Reading's Brian McDermott name into the running. Bad luck plays a role, and Demba Ba's non-handball call hosed the Royals out of all 3 points. He's fine for now, but stay in the drop zone too long and the ice gets thin.

8. jumpkutz

I'm sticking with Oh! Boy! Roberto! Scum's gotta start sliding sooner or later. They're good, but not THIS good. Law of averages says their fortunes are reversed by Valentine's Day.

9. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Down 0-2 to Spam in the first. How bout that ambition? The look on Hughes' face will last me till Sunday.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I hope he gets to keep that ambitious job for at least another Fulham match. :cool:

11. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'd love to know the real backstory on Hughes' ambition. I realize I'm overly cynical, but I just don't buy that the accepted version all of our fans believe (and loathe him for) is the whole truth.

That said, I did pick Hughes to be the first to go this year.

12. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

^This.

This is a must read.........
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/nam ... 50?cc=5901

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, you already know my take on the "backstory," so I won't repeat it here.

I'm still pissed that Chelsea started so well. Just one or two defeats in their first 6 would have been enough to get Abramovich to fire DeMatteo. He clearly doesn't want him and, had the ECL final gone the other way, he'd already be gone.

14. SoCalJoe

HaHa's lose at West Brom, Hughes takes the lead at the quarter pole.

15. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I think it's to get relegated :D

16. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Hopefully they keep Hughes until they get relegated to the Conference. Then Chelsea can hire Hughes and he can do the same for them. We take all the bandwagon fans and use the millions of pounds of revenue to win the league.

Great plan, it is.

17. SoCalJoe

After Citeh's calamitous performance against Ajax, which all but eliminated them from the Champions League, AM's dark horse pick looks real good.

18. SoCalJoe

Hughes is coming down the stretch and has put his nose in front, Qpr can only muster a home draw to Reading. I still think they have enough talent to get out of the mess they are in, but Sparky better get a win soon or he's Dead Man Walking.

Out of nowhere a well respected manager has thrown his name into the race. Martin O'Neill Sunderland's side loses at home to Aston Villa who are off to the worst in 43 years (despite Brad Guzan's heroics). Now Dunderland is sitting at 16th, and have only won 1 league match to go along with a bunch of draws.

19. SoCalJoe

Adebayor with a stupid studs up red card w/Spurs leading the North London Derby 1-0, Arsenal goes on to maul Tottenham 5-2, and AVB has to be back in the running. Spurs better beat Wet Spam next week or the heat will be turned up.

20. jumpkutz

Mr. Hughes is starting to pull away! 1-3 S'hampton at Loftus Rd.!