2009-2010 Player of the Season

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 19, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The preliminary ballot is out over on the offal.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... nVote.aspx

Pretty much the entire squad is on it. After the time period has elapsed, they'll come back at us with a choice among four or five names.

SO GO VOTE!

[I must confess I voted for Aaron Hughes. What a consistently effective performer he has been.]

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Don. You're right, almost impossible to pick one guy. I went w/Bobby slightly ahead of Hughes who was slightly ahead of Gera. I could easily change my vote when the final 5 come out.

3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I voted for Bobby. It would have felt weird not to given the year he had.

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I think it comes down to Zamora, Gera, Hughes and Duff. I went with Zamora. We desperately needed someone to step up and deliver the goals and he did it.

They also had Goal of the Season voting on there. I went with Dempsey v Juventus. There were 11 goals to choose from and we had some really good ones this year.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I went with Zamora, but my second pick would be Schwarzer.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

My vote of the season goes to... gosh, singling out one player after the year we had is almost too much to ask. I went with Captain Danny.

7. CincyCottager

CincyCottager New Member

Add another vote for Zamora.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

As with my compadres, it's between Schwarzer, Hughes or Zamora for me...and +1 for Bobby Z. Simply, his improved performance was massively unexpected in my book.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Wow, I can even vote for Stephen Kelly if I want to, they really DID include a lot of people.

I voted for Bobby Z though.

Edit to add: And Davies for Goal of the Season.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I voted for Dempsey's goal v. Juventus - it was sublime, immense and given the situation, completely unexpected (along with the entire result vs. the Old Lady.)

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Voting Bobby Zamora as the Player of the Year was a pretty simple choice for me. Goal of the year however was not a simple choice. Dempsey's goal agains Stoke is still the biggest jaw dropper for me but in the scheme of the season it really didn't mean anything leaving me with a tough choice between Dempsey's goal against Juventes and Davies goal against Hamburg. In the end I settled on Davies because of the way it seemed to completly turn the game in Fulham's favor. I freely admit I am splitting hairs to pick one over the other because both goals are incredible.

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Duff, for me. When the team seemed to be crumbling around him, he never lost his composure and provided our lifeline on many occasion. Or he would take a match by the scruff of the neck and set the tone with confidence.

Seemed a different player than wnen he was at Newcastle.

If Dempsey does not get Goal of the Season, then that category should cease to exist.

13. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

Zamora, and after him Dempsey.

14. sullytex

sullytex Member

Went with Bobby as player of the year (a year ago I would have told you you were off your rocker and recommended a shrink!).

[edit, moved goal of the season]

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And the primary voting is over: here's the folks that made the cut:

Your Player of the Season 2009/10?
    Mark Schwarzer
    Aaron Hughes
    Zoltan Gera
    Clint Dempsey
    Bobby Zamora

Go ahead and vote again!

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Zamora or Hughes? Hughes or Zamora? Don't mess with the Zoltan, decisions, decisions, decisions...

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love this site. Here we are -- 95% Americans -- and we can't figure out whether to vote for the Aussie, the Irishman, the Hungarian, or the English guy.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

19. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    That's not even the best part, the best part is that there are good arguments for all of them and that we can actually say that so many players genuinely positively contributed. Personally, I'm voting for Zamora. One of the first posts I made on this site was my amazement at just how much he meant to Fulham this year in terms of getting results from games in which he scored. I stopped keeping track in the last few weeks of the season- but at one point, Fulham had won 15 of the 17 games he scored in... ridiculous.

Of course, without Aaron Hughes or Mark Schwarzer (or even Brede Hangeland- everyone's forgetting Hangeland) his goals wouldn't have mattered as much. Dempsey would've easily surpassed 10 league goals had he not been injured and some of his explosiveness slowed during the comeback from the injury. Duff's crosses and passing were much appreciated all year and he scored some crucial goals- and could we have made it so far in Europe without Zoltan Gera? The skipper turned in another season where he consistently impressed (and I was so excited when Davies scored that equalizer that it took me a few days to watch the replay and see just how good Danny's pass to him was).

It's great that we can have these debates, as opposed to just sheepishly picking one of the few players who had a better than mediocre season.

~Steve

PS Does anyone know where you can find a list of former Fulham POY's? I haven't seen it on the official site nor Football Club History Database or Wikipedia...

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Thanks for writing about the pass -- I forgot about that too. Danny really led from the front there, and in a lot more games than not.