10 Greatest US Goals According to SI

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, May 16, 2014.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Great stuff, thanks for posting Nev. Still remember where I was for both the McBride and Feilhaber goals (wish they had included the spanish version of the Benny goal and not Max Bretos' call)

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGA2W4d5_E[/youtube]

4. SoCalJoe

Thanks for posting that Lax!

Saw on the WC thread that you are traveling to Brazil w/the American Outlaws. Perhaps a thread devoted to your trip should be started. It would be interesting to read about your preparations for the trip, where are you staying, concerns about travel between venues, etc.. In other words a way for us to live vicariously through you.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

They are up to # 2 - Donovan vs Algeria, #1 comes out on Monday. Since the article is about the most "significant" goals of all time not the greatest goals, I'm actually surprised this isn't # 1. A goal in the dying seconds of the match that is the difference between not advancing and winning our group for the first time in history is pretty hard to top. What will the #1 goal be? :confusion-helpsos:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/longform/soccer-goals/goal2.html

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It's probably Paul Caligiuri's that sent the US to it's first World Cup in decades.

http://www.espnfc.com/world-cup/story/_ ... 901&ver=us

7. Clevelandmo

Aahhhh you are likely correct. I think I read once in an article that FIFA was threatening to yank, no pun intended, the 1994 World Cup from the USA if we didn't qualify for the 1990 WC. Whether they would have ever followed through with that threat I seriously question, but it made the stakes much higher than just ending the qualification draught. When you consider that it may have allowed us to keep the WC and then MLS follows that is pretty significant.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXawhyT6i1I[/youtube]

8. SoCalJoe

Caliguiri's goal will be number 1 for a very long time. Enjoyed seeing the rare ground level footage of it. He went to Walnut HS where we live (our daughter went to the rival HS) and there is a very cool display case celebrating him at the school. Also found it interesting that only 24 countries were involved in the WC at the time, would think that it will be pushed up to 40 teams by 2022.

9. Clevelandmo

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Pretty much. That goal from Caliguari was huge...it got US Soccer out of the middle of nowhere and on the map for future generations. It's importance can not be overstated at all.

I was going to post this in Joe's US WC history thread. But that '90 WC was the first one I watched and was so disappointed by how poor the US were, I kind of adopted Germany as my second team since my I had strong German roots. So much has passed since then. A little funny to think about it how one of their star players from then would wind-up leading the US into another WC almost 25 years later. My goodness, almost 25 years ago?! :shock: