Woy for England

A place to talk about all the news and rumors in the EPL. And discuss all non-EPL leagues and teams...Europe, Seria A, MLS, La Liga etc. Also, International play, Word Cup, Qualifying, etc.

Re: Woy for England

Postby DCHeather » Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 am

Someone whose name I cannot mention's take:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/sports ... ing-171048?

Even with Woy at the helm, I still can't bring myself to hope for success for the 3 lions.
"Whether Felix Magath would have saved the Titanic, I do not know. However, the survivors would have been in top shape." Jan Fjortoft 2001.
DCHeather
Site Admin

Postby SoCalJoe » Tue May 01, 2012 10:47 am

It's so much easier to tear down than build up (makes for better reading I guess), but the first order of business in taking that job is doing a media blackout. I'm not sure exactly how much Roy can get done in the little time he'll have the squad together. England isn't as good as a handful of teams, but if Woy manages the team's fitness (priority #1 is having the team has fresh as possible) and has them playing w/energy, a deep run isn't out of the realm of possibility.
If you choose not to decide you've still made a choice - Neil Peart
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby tim » Tue May 01, 2012 12:38 pm

I have mixed feelings about this, mostly because I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. But happy for Woy, and I certainly wish him much success. I think I will now find myself supporting the Three Lions next month for him alone.
tim
Carlos Bocanegra

Postby sfm » Tue May 01, 2012 9:52 pm

I am with you Tim. In fact, I have not been this excited about the Three Lions since Italia '90. Tonight, I changed my return ticket so I can try to blag my way into Wembley for the Belgium friendly on 2nd June.

"You've got to go, and give, but do it at the right time, you can be fast or slow but you must get to the line, they'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack, there's only one way to beat them, get round the back, so catch me if you can, cause I'm the England man, and what you're looking at, is the master plan, we ain't no hooligans, this ain't no football song, three lions on my chest, you know we can't go wrong" J. C. B. Barnes MBE

C'mon Roy! C'mon England!
sfm
First Team Benchwarmer

Postby VegasJustin » Thu May 03, 2012 7:36 am

This won't end well. He's going to need to get them to the final for him to get any kind of credit and, frankly, they are a team that can go to the quarterfinals and that's about it. Their key players are getting old and Roy isn't a good fit. Nevster is right, they should have went after Pep.
"By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward."- Mikhail Bakunin
VegasJustin
Carlos Bocanegra

Postby tim » Fri May 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Ray Lewington will be joining Woy as his assistant. Cheers to him for his years of service.
tim
Carlos Bocanegra

Postby RDG » Fri May 04, 2012 7:54 pm

sfm wrote:
"You've got to go, and give, but do it at the right time, you can be fast or slow but you must get to the line, they'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack, there's only one way to beat them, get round the back, so catch me if you can, cause I'm the England man, and what you're looking at, is the master plan, we ain't no hooligans, this ain't no football song, three lions on my chest, you know we can't go wrong" J. C. B. Barnes MBE

There's also a video of Keith Allen (HUGE FFC fan and Lily's dad) doing the above rap.

I am happy for Woy and REALLY hope he gets a knighthood from this gig, BUT I know that you should always be careful what you wish for! (Just remember his wonderful spell at Liverpool.)
". . . when a man is tired of London,
. . . he is tired of life"
Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
RDG
Eddie Johnson

Postby Clevelandmo » Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 am

Not too surprized about Ray's appointment. So my two favorite English managers are leading the three lions. Simply impossible not to cheer for them now.

I do fear this wont help Roy win over the fans though. Ray's personality will probably be considered too underwhelming for many and they'll ingorantly just consider him another mediocre appointment.
Clevelandmo
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby SoCalJoe » Mon May 14, 2012 11:51 am

Good hire by Woy. Gary Neville has got the cache (silverware and respect) w/the current players.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ff?cc=5901
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby DCHeather » Wed May 16, 2012 5:44 am

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusi ... ll-time-in?

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey

Ray Lewington is poised to quit Fulham and become the third permanent member of England’s coaching team on a four-year contract, Goal.com can reveal.

The Football Association announced on May 4 that Lewington had been appointed Roy Hodgson’s No.2 for Euro 2012 on a short-term contract.

Sources have told Goal.com that new England manager Hodgson has told the FA he now wants Lewington to join him on a full-time basis and a deal running until 2016 is expected to be offered in the near future.

The governing body revealed on Monday that Gary Neville had signed a four-year contract to be part of Hodgson’s coaching team, although the former Manchester United player will continue his punditry duties with Sky Sports.

The FA have treaded more carefully in the case of Lewington because of the sensibilities involved in him still being employed by a Premier League club.

The respected Fulham head of coaching, who was Hodgson’s No.2 during his three-year spell as manager at Craven Cottage, initially agreed to work with England for this summer, with a view to extending it to England’s World Cup campaign if successful. It was agreed that the FA would pay his Fulham salary and a compensation sum for his services.

Goal.com has learned that further talks have taken place in recent days about Lewington permanently leaving Fulham, who he re-joined in 2005 after spells as manager at Watford and Brentford.

Hodgson wants his right-hand man to have the same length contract as himself and Neville, and sources expect the FA to come to an arrangement with Fulham shortly for Lewington to come on board.

And...

Rio Ferdinand out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro20 ... gland.html
"Whether Felix Magath would have saved the Titanic, I do not know. However, the survivors would have been in top shape." Jan Fjortoft 2001.
DCHeather
Site Admin

Postby DCHeather » Wed May 16, 2012 7:17 am

Roy's Euro squad:

http://thefa.com/

GOALKEEPERS
Robert Green (West Ham United)Joe Hart (Manchester City)John Ruddy (Norwich City)
DEFENDERS
Leighton Baines (Everton)Gary Cahill (Chelsea)Ashley Cole (Chelsea)Glen Johnson (Liverpool)Phil Jones (Manchester United)Joleon Lescott (Manchester City)John Terry (Chelsea)
MIDFIELDERS
Gareth Barry (Manchester City)Stewart Downing (Liverpool)Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)Frank Lampard (Chelsea)James Milner (Manchester City)Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur)Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)Theo Walcott (Arsenal)Ashley Young (Manchester United)
FORWARDS
Andy Carroll (Liverpool)Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)
DCHeather
Site Admin

Postby Clevelandmo » Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 am

Wow I'm kind of shocked he chose Terry. I thought Roy demanded more class than that, but what do I know. And it's not as if Ferdinand is a model player/person but still.

Also it's a huge mistake not to have Crouch. He scores boatloads of goals for England, I dont know why you would want to messs with that. And who is going to score goals when Rooney is sitting for those two games. These England managers have to pander too much to ever be successful. I guesss those who predicted Roy will fail are probably right.
Clevelandmo
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby jumpkutz » Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 am

Agree about Crouch, I've always liked him. A little surprised he picked Green. I figured he was toast after the last World Cup gaffe. The law of averages probably doesn't apply here, but I like England to make some noise in Russia...don't know why, just a gut feeling I have about this outing.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi
jumpkutz
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby SoCalJoe » Wed May 16, 2012 11:59 am

Have to agree about Green, even though Joe Hart will be playing every minute. Woy said it was a pure football decision on Terry, from what I've seen both players are past their prime, so would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that decision was made. Andy Carroll's play really improved in the final part of the season, and beat out Crouch for the hold up role. Tough call, but Carroll is super athletic and my guess is Woy is thinking about 2014 as much as the Euros.
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby SoCalJoe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Both Barry and now Lampard ruled out for England. This might sound weird, but it actually benefits Woy. The expectations will decrease even more and he doesn't have to worry about getting Gerrard and Lampard to play effectively together. Rooney missing the first two matches and now these injuries will buy Roy plenty of time to shape the team for the WC cycle the way he wants.
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

PreviousNext

Return to Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International