Woy for England

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Roy says he would take the job if offered. And Keith Andrews does an nice job of singing his praises. I'm still a little skeptical of how much success Roy would have. I think he can handle the personalities, but accounts of his coaching always talk about drills and repetition over positioning and shape at practice. I'm not sure he'd get enough time with the players to do what he normally does. On the other hand he was successful with Switzerland.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...ss-roy-hodgson-would-take-england-job?cc=5901

2. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I'm not saying that Woy is a bad choice, but the FA has backed themselves into a corner by saying the next manager would be English. Really limits their choices. Shouldn't they have figured out who they wanted, made sure they were available, and approached them before they got rid of Capello?

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Mourinho for England. Roy lost Liverpool's backroom, how would he handle the national team?

4. tim

tim Active Member

I didn't track his time at 'Pool that closely. But from what I can remember his undoing there stemmed from his strict defense-first mentality and his inability to manage the egos and personalities of some high-profile players. He had a system that he wanted to run and the players weren't on board.

The England national team probably has more problems with ego and personality than any squad in the world, and the scrutiny and expectation will be even more intense than they were at Liverpool.

If someone followed it a bit more closely and I'm off base, let me know. But, while I have tremendous respect for Woy, it just doesn't seem a good fit.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't wish the England job on Woy, he doesn't need that aggravation. I guess I should mention my dislike for the English national team.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

He would be a horrible choice. He is a decent manager, but nothing more and won't be able to handle the egos in the squad. Nobody is going to buy his defensive approach to the game.

Harry Redknapp is probably going to get the job. He can handle the egos and will play a somewhat attractive style. Mourinho would have been the best choice, but they want an English manager.

7. Clevelandmo

I think Roy can handle the egos just fine. It was the fans at Liverpool that caused all the problemos for him.

And Nev, Roy didnt loose the Liverpool backroom, that backroom changed when the ownership changed. And Henry decided he needed to pander to the KOP.

King Kenny got money to spend that Roy did and has faired no better. I think Roy could do the job

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I've got to disagree with that and side with Justin on this one. Roy's system is restrictive to players, requiring sacrifice for the team. Most of your superstar (prima donna?) players don't like that. Redknapp would be a much better pick for the English team. However, since I share Heather's sentiment for the Three Lions, I hope they go with Roy.

9. nevzter

OK, regarding Roy, and I maintain he did lose the backroom b/c they fired him with hardly a chance, and Mourinho would be a coup, but, I agree Roy could do it.

However, this boils down to a practical vs. popular selection re Roy. If Roy would be allowed to select the best players for each spot - in his mind - then, yes, he'd be a great pick. However, Roy would not pick the most "popular" folks and things could be off to a negative start with the media - who, with English football, are the be all and end all.

Regardless, I think Roy could do a job b/c he would pick who suits his style and those players, all things considered, would not be Spain, but they'd be damn good.

10. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Even before my Beloved Red Sox bought Liverpool it had been said that the next manager would be a short timer as the new owners would want to bring there own man in. I don't think Roy ever had a chance, no matter who took over, unless he had pretty much gone undefeted.

11. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

12. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Re: Hodgson for England?

The FA painted itself into a corner when they said there next manager would be English. I think they thought for sure they would get Arry and that would be the end of it. Now they are scrambling.

13. nevzter

Pep Guardiola for England. Seriously.

14. Clevelandmo

It appears likely Woy Woy has been given the gig and it will be announced tomorrow. Apparently there were some pretty negative opinions in the press over his pending appointment instead of dirty 'arry. But thankfully there are some people out there who have stood up for our former manager,

Here is an example from the Guardian,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/30/roy-hodgson-harry-redknapp-coach

Best of luck to him. One thing in his favor is that he can call into camp whomever he wants, and I trust he knows the English players better than anyone. The thing against him is that the Euros are so soon. While I was looking forward to the Euros for the quality of play only, I'm now fully looking forward to cheering England (Woy weally) on to victory.

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I don't understand the Hodgson Haters. Yeah, he got sacked at Liverpool...so what? I expect significant improvement in the Three Lions under his watch. And I think he's more than up to prepping them for the Euros...hell, they might even win the damn thing. So there. I hate haters who just hate for hate's sake. Does that make me bad?

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

It's so much easier to tear down than build up (makes for better reading I guess), but the first order of business in taking that job is doing a media blackout. I'm not sure exactly how much Roy can get done in the little time he'll have the squad together. England isn't as good as a handful of teams, but if Woy manages the team's fitness (priority #1 is having the team has fresh as possible) and has them playing w/energy, a deep run isn't out of the realm of possibility.

18. tim

tim Active Member

I have mixed feelings about this, mostly because I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. But happy for Woy, and I certainly wish him much success. I think I will now find myself supporting the Three Lions next month for him alone.

19. sfm

sfm Member

I am with you Tim. In fact, I have not been this excited about the Three Lions since Italia '90. Tonight, I changed my return ticket so I can try to blag my way into Wembley for the Belgium friendly on 2nd June.

"You've got to go, and give, but do it at the right time, you can be fast or slow but you must get to the line, they'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack, there's only one way to beat them, get round the back, so catch me if you can, cause I'm the England man, and what you're looking at, is the master plan, we ain't no hooligans, this ain't no football song, three lions on my chest, you know we can't go wrong" J. C. B. Barnes MBE

C'mon Roy! C'mon England!

20. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

This won't end well. He's going to need to get them to the final for him to get any kind of credit and, frankly, they are a team that can go to the quarterfinals and that's about it. Their key players are getting old and Roy isn't a good fit. Nevster is right, they should have went after Pep.