Stu Holden--The Latest

A place to talk about all the news and rumors in the EPL. And discuss all non-EPL leagues and teams...Europe, Seria A, MLS, La Liga etc. Also, International play, Word Cup, Qualifying, etc.

Stu Holden--The Latest

Postby DCHeather » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 am

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/ ... erlaeckens

WILMINGTON, Del. -- Stuart Holden's face is turning purple. Below the carefully cultivated dark-blond hair with trademark frosted tips, which often gets him mistaken for '90s teenybopper Aaron Carter, his small features crunch up.

The Bolton and U.S. midfielder is laying on his side, getting his healing left knee worked on by longtime U.S. national team physio James Hashimoto in his Elite PT practice. (Don't be fooled by the name; it's an unpretentious place, stowed away in the basement of an inconspicuous community center on the outskirts of town.) "I'll send a picture of my T-shirt to Nigel de Jong," Holden jokes in between stretches, smiling through the strain. Marked Man, reads the shirt, which was white until he spilled coffee on it earlier in the morning.

Stuart Holden, working with U.S. national team physio James Hashimoto. "I'll send a picture of my T-shirt to Nigel de Jong," Holden jokes, in reference to the "Marked Man" design.

Dozens of U.S. players have made the same agonized faces on this very massage table during rehab sessions with the affable Hash (rhymes with "posh," not "dash") -- Brian McBride, Ernie Stewart, Claudio Reyna, Tab Ramos, Oguchi Onyewu, Tony Meola: all the big ones. "I don't think I'd make it into that team," Holden cracks again.

"Coming here is like a bucket list thing for these guys," says Hashimoto, a stocky man with a tight buzz cut and a loose smile. But Hash can't think of anyone other than Cory Gibbs who has spent more time here than Holden, 26, has.

Consider the evidence: torn meniscus as a junior in high school; fractured eye socket after an unprovoked punch-up while at Sunderland; broken ankle in a bad tackle during a trial at Leicester City; a Bolton Wanderers trial parlayed into a man-of-the-match EPL debut just days before a Nigel de Jong-induced broken leg during a U.S.-Netherlands friendly; his splendid 2010-11 season -- in which The Guardian's readers rated him the best player of the season's first half and he was named Bolton's player of the year -- was ended by a freak collision with Jonny Evans, one of whose cleats got caught in and broke Holden's left knee; a 90-minute man-of-the-match outing against Aston Villa that revealed acute cartilage damage and yet another long recovery.

This is Holden's third rehab stint in Delaware, all within a year, totaling almost five months of daily exercises split up into two three-hour sessions that are monotonous at best, excruciating at worst. (Sometimes he follows them up with a third workout on his own.) He'll be there another month at least and is unlikely to play another game this season. Hash and Holden are loath to set a timetable for the player's return, as recovery from a cartilage injury is unpredictable. So yes, the two men have seen much more of each other than either would like, no matter how fond they are of each other. "Other patients say we're like an old married couple," says Holden, who jokes that he'll help Hash cut the umbilical cord when his wife delivers their first baby in a few days. At one point they bicker over where to go for dinner.

At least he still has a sense of humor. Read the whole thing.
"Whether Felix Magath would have saved the Titanic, I do not know. However, the survivors would have been in top shape." Jan Fjortoft 2001.
DCHeather
Site Admin

Re: Stu Holden--The Latest

Postby SoCalJoe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:27 am

Interesting article, at least it won't be for a lack of effort if he doesn't make it back. Not sure when he was quoted (the story said it was archived and updated) but he mentioned playing again in 6 months, hopefully that means this summer.
If you choose not to decide you've still made a choice - Neil Peart
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby nevzter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Dude has horrible luck. If the USMNT ever gets to see a healthy Holden, sweet, he's definitely paid his dues via injury. Bolton misses him too - a ton.
The wild, the innocent and the E street shuffle
nevzter
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby DCHeather » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:33 am

SoCalJoe wrote:Interesting article, at least it won't be for a lack of effort if he doesn't make it back. Not sure when he was quoted (the story said it was archived and updated) but he mentioned playing again in 6 months, hopefully that means this summer.

I think it was just updated to correct some information perhaps, because it is recent. I don't think we'll see him in uniform until next year, but, if lucky, maybe this fall (doubt it though). :cry:
"Whether Felix Magath would have saved the Titanic, I do not know. However, the survivors would have been in top shape." Jan Fjortoft 2001.
DCHeather
Site Admin

Postby SoCalJoe » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:35 am

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/ ... nths-rehab

One step at a time. Hurry, but don't rush it Stu.
If you choose not to decide you've still made a choice - Neil Peart
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby DCHeather » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 pm

SoCalJoe wrote:http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7775832/stuart-holden-back-bolton-3-months-rehab

One step at a time. Hurry, but don't rush it Stu.

The 26-year-old midfielder told Bolton's website that he still doesn't have a clear timeline for when he may play again.

"I'm not really worried about that because my focus is all about making sure I'm fully fit once I do get back on the pitch," Holden said.

Wise words Mr. Holden.
DCHeather
Site Admin

Postby nevzter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Can somebody punch Jonny Evens in the face? And at the same time, give DeJong the business as well?
The wild, the innocent and the E street shuffle
nevzter
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Return to Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International