Dempsey to Sounders

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

There are stupid rumors, especially the Dempsey to MLS rumors considering how well he did for Spurs. Yes, I know plenty of people think he struggled at Spurs but they would be wrong.

However, some guy just ran into Dempsey in Seattle's airport and posted the pic on twitter. I dont think Spurs have a preseason trip to Seattle at the moment, correct me if I am wrong. And Sigi isnt denying it, so that is what "reporters" are saying
    https://twitter.com/MrJorgePerea

And Seattle are second in the allocation order behind Portland, who would also want him and happens to be close to Seattle, distance-wise

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The photo is a fake

3. Clevelandmo

Well this Perea dude who has no bidness taking up my Thursday evenin' time says not on his flight to Seattle but at a different gate? Where are they where is Dempsey going? I''m sure this is nothing but if its not, someone's got some 'splainin' to do

4. Ianhux5

Ianhux5 New Member

There seem to be a couple tweets floating around, including a couple Sounders beat writers/bloggers, corroborating that he was still heading to Seattle. I don't buy it, but it still has me giddy despite my reservations.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

They did just open up a DP spot by redoing Joesph's contract...

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

7. tim

tim Active Member

I just don't see him coming back to MLS at this point. Heather's scenario seems far more likely. Everton would be a good place for him. Especially if he's not going to get minutes at Spurs.

8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

i have a hard time seeing Dempsey returning to the MLS at this point in time but I don't have a hard time seeing him not on Spurs.

9. Clevelandmo

Still cant believe one guy can take a picture with a soccer starr and it causes multiple articles to be written in different countries and god knows how many thread like this one on messageboards. And Sounders fans actually went to the airport to look for Dempsey.

If Everton really are considering Dempsey, would he really fly all the way over to San Fran? Before the deal is done? I guess maybe he wants to meet them, to meet Martinez, but then wouldnt that also mean Spurs are okay with losing him? I thought AVB valued him at least as much as any transfer funds they will get.

Also, the twitter picture I linked was real but someone did post some fake pictures, like one of a sounders website saying Dempsey had signed, probably as a joke about the Liverdrool debacle. So Don could 've been referring to the real fake pictures, heh heh.

10. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Why do you find it credible that he'd leave Spurs? He had a brilliant season with them. AVB likes him, and Spuds are rumored to be selling Adebayor, Defoe, and Bale. I think the whole thing came about because the Dempsey-hating teenagers on some other sites were looking for a way to denigrate Clint.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm with Barry too. I don't believe Dempsey had a bad season, and I think Barry would probably agree. I just feel the Spurs are desperate to get some really big names in the squad and finally make it into Champions League. They've been so close to making it the past 2 seasons, they're turning themselves inside out trying figure out how to make those last few points. I wouldn't be surprised if Dempsey is loaned out for a few months perhaps in the winter time, if he's still with the Spurs and he's not starting the majority of games.

13. BarryWhite

I completly agree with Heather in that I don't think Dempsey had a poor season but the way Spurs have been spending I wonder if AVB's hands won't be tied with finding room on the pitch for all of his new purchases. While Spurs are rumored to be selling Defoe and Adebayor among others they have already purchased Soldado, Chadli and Paulinho and if they do sell Bale I think those funds will be quickly reinvested not to mention the player they have been been rumored to be offered, De Maria I think, on top of the cash. With the infusion of cash I think the pressure is on AVB to make the push for Champion's League football and I am just not sure if Dempsey is going to feature for Spurs this season.

The twitter spasms have nothing to do with my thoughts because if you recall I posted that I wasn't sure Dempsey would feature in AVB's plans some time ago. I have no problem admitting I could be utterly wrong on this and that Dempsey will once again force his way into the Spurs line up just as he has always forced his way into lineups in the past. In fact, I hope he does. I am not rooting for a transfer I just think it is the realm of realistic possibilities. It could be that Spurs are just strengthening the depth of their squad with plans for a Europa League run and a Champions League push and that Dempsey will play a big part or not. Time will tell.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

15. nevzter

I'm in agreement that the pieces seem to be in alignment (and, turf aside, Seattle is a prime club in MLS), but I won't believe this deal until the ink is dry on the contract.

16. Clevelandmo

There is one not so minor misalignment. Portland has the #1 allocation spot and the two team are mortal enemies. Portland will make them pay an arm and a leg unless MLS intervenes to insure a fair deal, which I'm sure they will try to do to make this happen.

The other problem? Why did he go to San Fran?

17. nevzter

Pardon my basic MLS allocation knowledge (jeez, you'd need a law degree or something to ascertain that mess), but I believe DP signings aren't privy to the allocation process. Thus, Dempsey could sign with anybody in a DP slot, including the bloody Sounders.

And, who doesn't want to visit San Francisco (even though your own club is playing a friendly in Monaco)?

It's all strange to me...something doesn't add up.

18. BarryWhite

Mindblowing sums it up nicely for me if it happens.

19. Clevelandmo

Good point about DP. I have no idea how that works with the allocation process because I'm not sure this has happened before where a US MNT player capable of commanding a DP spot has returned to MLS. Unless the "rules" in such a case have been clearly spelled out by MLS, I'm hoping Portland will raise bloody hell. The drama would be great.

As far as San Fran, everyone wants to go to San Fran, hopefully the Crew does too, all I meant was why is he in San Fran rather than Seattle?

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It's being confirmed by a lot of soccer journos who cover the MLS beat on twitter. Mind is being blown.
    [tweet]363438195192508416[/tweet]
    [tweet]363439521066516481[/tweet]